Inspire Render Honest Review

Everything related to Altair Inspire Render beta

Moderator: claudio

mrwip
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Moving on to the main scene, here is how it looks in studio, open GL, then interactive. Note that there are hidden area lights next to the light bulbs (so invisible here)
2020-05-28_16h27_30.jpg
2020-05-28_16h44_49.jpg
mrwip
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

In Inspire, the same view :

We could first see that "invisible" tag from the area lights have not been taken into account, but to be fair, the rest looks kinda okay.
2020-05-28_16h55_33.jpg

Then when the interactive render is started, things are going really bad : Geometry is broken on many objects (look at the brass lamps on the bar), there seems to be way more fireflies, and the engine is slower to resolve light interactions.

In addition, starting the interactive render takes a lot of time (15-20sec ), against something like 1-2 sec in Studio. I know you will say that 15s is not a lot, but, 150 time a day it makes a difference !
2020-05-28_17h01_14.jpg
Once again, it's also darker (i checked, the LUT seems to be the same)

Bonus, switching from interactive to open GL, Inspire froze forever once and I had to restart it.
mrwip
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

The geometry issue is not there in Darkroom render :
2020-05-28_17h12_28.jpg
mrwip
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Well, I did a stress test on a large and complex scene, with quite a lot of tree instances (1.5Gb).

It opens and start easily in Studio (quite some initial loading time though). In open GL the framerate is good, but there is a lot of popping up, as geometry is loaded dynamically. In IR, it start almost instantly, and navigation is blazing fast.
2020-05-28_17h46_47.jpg
2020-05-28_17h46_12.jpg
In Inspire, After a long long loading time, I was able to navigate the model, but really slowly, in shaded mode. I try to switch to realistic mode, it freezes for quite some time, then crashed. I tried again, but directly into IR and ended up with the same result...
2020-05-28_18h01_58.jpg
dbalex
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

claudio wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:01 pm The point of having a separate window is to let you render while you work. Now don't tell me that 10 seconds more for a rendering (that might take minutes) is something meaningful.
You are overlooking the fact that this scene is very simple, in a real exterior scene with multiple buildings and with lots of vegetation and all the difference is not a couple of seconds but minutes. Think about it from a real life scenario, when you have to make 50 iterations and wip renders to get to the right materials and all, then you don't have the time to wait a couple of minutes every time before seeing the small change you just made, you want instant feedback like we had with studio.
claudio
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

dbalex wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:05 am You are overlooking the fact that this scene is very simple, in a real exterior scene with multiple buildings and with lots of vegetation and all the difference is not a couple of seconds but minutes. Think about it from a real life scenario, when you have to make 50 iterations and wip renders to get to the right materials and all, then you don't have the time to wait a couple of minutes every time before seeing the small change you just made, you want instant feedback like we had with studio.
Don't you do that directly in Interactive Rendering?
Why would you render every time?
mrwip
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Don't you do that directly in Interactive Rendering?
Well, we would really much do this, but, the issue is that interactive render takes quite some time to start !

On this test scene (1.5Go), it took 14s to start in IR in studio (which is already a bit annoying when you do a lot of test and trials)
2020-05-29_11h57_25.jpg

And, again, huge disappointment, on the recent and supposedly better Inspire, there is a "creating rendering scene" loading for 2min48s !

It's a crazy 12x factor between the old application and the new, and in the wrong direction. And I'm not even mentioning that the geometry is messed up... again.
2020-05-29_12h05_02.jpg
In addition, if navigating in openGL was sometime slow on the studio, it was really really fast and fluid in IR, and it's way more laggy in Inspire, in IR.

Honestly, I feel kinda sorry for all this, and I'm not happy to spend time doing this, but it feels like this application have never been really tested before, and that you guys seems to have no idea how your users are working with it...
Last edited by mrwip on Fri May 29, 2020 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrwip
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

In addition, but that not your fault, Thea interactive behaves a bit differently than the production engines when it comes to handling a lot of lights sources in the same time, and it produces way noisier results, making it hardly usefull for classical interior archviz scenes, with multiple emissive elements.

This issue have been reported many time in the past, but not adressed since, and that's why it's often faster to launch a "real" render to check how the scene looks
mrwip
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

On the latest courtyard scene, I tried to render it in the Darkroom, and ended up with an error message, after a while
2020-05-29_11h27_58.jpg
I think it's needless to mention that it worked in Studio...
Pixero
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

I tried Inspire studio but quickly found that it was geared towards product visualisation and not archviz.
I have zero use for it as it is now.
Comments on the UI were either dismissed or very vaguely answered.
None of my proposed changes have been done as of today.
Things like that the vertical grid instead of a horizontal grid says something about who you are prioritizing.
I don't think they have the knowledge or will to make it great for archviz.

Return to “Altair Inspire Render beta”