DIY Hedges

Share here any models, scenes and material rooms that you created with other licensed users.
Pixero
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

DIY_Hedges_690.jpg
DIY_Hornbeam_690.jpg
DIY_Boxwood_and_Thuja_690.jpg
This set of Hornbeam, Boxwood and Thuja twigs requires the Skatter plugin to function properly.

Have you ever wanted a hedge that had a special size or form and not found a matching ready made 3d model? Now you can easily create Hornbeam, Boxwood or Thuja hedges in any form with this set of twigs and the excellent Skatter plugin.
Because of the dense nature of Boxwood and Thuja hedges their twigs have cutout branches to avoid the use of very high tracing depth. Materials are set up for Thea render but textures are included for other render engines.

In each skp file there are example Skattered hedges where you can look at settings and learn from. Open the skp file and start Skatter. Under Renderlist click on edit to load the examples.

For trimmed hedges:

Create a low poly boxy hedge with bevelled edges. (With Round corners plugin by Fredo.) Remove bottom polygon and make it a group. Use as Host in Skatter. For some type of hedges there might be need to separate the top part and use shorter twigs there. Remember to hide the Host on a separate layer before rendering.

For untrimmed hedge (Hornbeam):

Use the Stem or other geometry as Host in Skatter and use the Hornbeam twigs marked for untrimmed. (They have their pivot point at the bottom.)

The most important settings in Skatter are:
Distribution: Random
Mode: Wrap (UV)
Density
Pointing: (Up - Normal. Depends on which model you use.)

You can also use horizontal mirroring, rotation (try different values for other effects), and Scale.

Get it here:
https://sketchucation.com/shop/models/l ... -y--hedges
Hieru
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Oh wow, this is awesome!

I used some if your hedges on a recent project and really could have done with something more custom. This is going to be really helpful for future projects and I can't wait to have a play. Thanks :thumbup: .
Rombout

Looks great, do you have more example renders?
JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

They do look good. I've also been using this method for Ivy. I use SU Ivy plugin without the leafs and then skatter the leaves on the stems.
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Intel i7 5820K 3.3Ghz 32Gb Ram
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb
Pixero
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Thanks.
I'm actually doing another set for "DIY Vines".
Ivy, Pipevine, and two clematis.
I have some weird (UV?) errors on one of the plants that I need to fix before release though.
samnorth
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Cool - i could do with some better leafy hedge options.

Been using the same to create formal box hedges, domes etc for a while - it almost seems too easy once the settings are nailed and saved to the skatter library.

For small leaf hedging like box I usually leave the host geometry in place [with a dark soil texture] and reduce the overall leaf density until i get an acceptable balance.
silic
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

thanks very much, it's a funy metode :thumbup:
Silic
processeur Intel i7 CPU X990 3.47GHz - 24 Go mémoire - carte vidéo 1x Nvidia gtx 690 + 1x gtx titan
- windows 7 64 - Sketchup 8/2013/2014 - Shaderlight - Photoshop - vray su - twilight - terragen 2 - moi - thearender ...
ZoneOz
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Mate can I get this to work in SU Pro 2015 as I just bought it and won't open it's asking me to update to 2017. Thanks brother J
Pixero
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

How can you "just have bought" a two year old version of SketchUp?
Does Skatter work with that version?
I made them with SU 2017 but can save them as 2014 or something.
Right now I'm on vacation so it will have to wait until next week when I'm back to my computer.
ZoneOz
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Brother, let me just clarify. I didn't just buy a 2 year old subscription to sketchup... I just bought your plant kit.

Return to “Scenes & Models”