[Tutorial] Equalize textures

Share material or textures that you created with other licensed users.
Pixero
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

I just found out about this great tutorial how to fix textures that has uneven brightness.
I tried it on a couple of images I had and the result surprised me. I've done something similar before but this is both faster and looks better.
There is even a Photoshop action to make it even easier.

https://tolas.wordpress.com/2009/05/26/ ... photoshop/

E D I T: The link to the Photoshop action doesnt seem to work and the one further down in the comments don't work with latest Photoshop so I made one of my own. Place the content of the zip file in:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Presets\Actions

It saves the original background layer for comparison and groups the other layers for easy on/off switching.

Updated action with smart object to let you fine tune settings afterwards if necessary.
Thanks to Hieru for the idea.
EqualizeTexture.zip
(707 Bytes) Downloaded 54 times
Last edited by Pixero on Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
george
Thea Render Team
Thea Render Team

:thumbup: Thank you!!!
Theodor
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

thank you, for sharing.

T.
Rombout

That's indeed a great tut! PS the amount you use with high pass is kind of depended on how big the image is in resolution. I use this highpass for when im doing beauty retouch, its called frequency separation.

Pixero i havent checked the action yet, but are users able to set this number manually or did you hardcode the amount in the action?
Pixero
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

You set the number manually and click OK. All else is automatic.
Hieru
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

If you make your layer a Smart Object before applying High Pass, you can go back and adjust the strength if it isn't quite right.
Pixero
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Good idea. I'll do that and re upload once I'm done.

Edit: Updated in first post.
Rombout

I see both versions are different, the one from Peter Guthrie has extra step. Adding the levels is very important, also converting all the layers to smart objects is much better. Because then your working "Non-Destructive", which means you can always go back and to edits.

PS the action gives errers for me in PS cc 2018, did you test the action :) I get an error; "The command select isnt available now". I see why that is. Ive set my Photoshop to copy layers without adding "copy" to it, i hate that.
Also doing the color picker step after it blurred doesnt make sense either. The layer is already one solid color due to that blur action. You can test it by selecting the Pipet and moving over the image, have the info panel open. You'll see the RGB values wont change while you moving over the image, this means the color is the same everywhere.

EDIT
i did some editing and changed all the items to smart objects, now everything is still editable. Also i change the method to Large and small details. Because Hi-pass of 100 is really much you see white blotches, using lower numbers is much better When using large and small details you can also separate large and small details and edit them separately.

Also i added a adjustment layer named "Option Coloring" (solid color layer). You can change the color very easy this way. I also named the layer which is a MUST!! hahah

PS always test your action a couple times, its very easy to make mistakes or do something which wont work. I tend todo most step by shortcuts, because some steps wont record. Also naming the layers prevents the issue with finding layers when click/select them. Because you never see either copy or a duplicate layer. Its also much better for a user, he can understand the hierarchy and see what function each layer has.

Also remind that the added Levels in this setup where setup for certain texture. You would need to adjust them to your own textures. This means sliding the white and dark triangle to the right and to the left. This makes the texture lighter and darker in the highlights and shadowss.

If the texture show to much details or lighter blotches, than lower the opacity of the "Large Details - Hi Pass" layer.

DOWNLOAD
Attachments
Overview after action has run
Overview after action has run
Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 11.30.52 AM.png (40.45 KiB) Viewed 531 times
Last edited by Rombout on Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rombout

Aha Hieruh was faster then me :mrgreen: I was making this new action when peeps posted in between.

Anyways, here's my version of this setup. Its a bit more detailed and more adjustable. I added the adjustment color layer because you can edit the color super easy.
gnuiorc
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Return to “Materials & Textures”