Inklines in Thea

Created a nice video, document or a translation of another document? Share it here for licensed users.
ThomasHelzle
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I haven't seen this technique mentioned here and thought I give it a quick shot:

It's a very old trick, I didn't invent it but maybe somebody will find it useful:

In the image above, there is one torus without anything special done to it with a white surface.
Then the torus is duplicated, it's normals inverted (Geometry -> Flip Normals), and in its (Unique) material all settings are zeroed out so it's full black.
Then in the Material -> General -> Two Sided is unticked (so you don't see the front, only the backside).
Then as a last step, you use Displacement, usually without, but optionally with additional subdivisions to give the inklines more detail, set the Center to 1 and apply some texture map that will give you the structure you want for your inklines - something smooth and with little detail for soft strokes or something with more detail like in the above image (I used some asphalt texture that I just stumbled across). If you want inklines without variation, just use a solid black image.
Then you adjust the height to taste, it defines the thickness of the stroke.
If you set Center to something more like 0.5, you can also get little strokes all over the surface, but that needs more defined textures and probably more subdivisions so it looks good.

If you wonder why I use a Center value of 1 and a black texture: Since the normals are inverted, the displacement also goes into the opposite direction, so you have to revert all the usual rules.

Note: This trick works best with rather roundish objects. With more rectangular stuff you may get strange effects.

And if you have a texture painting app: You can paint the thickness of your strokes as a greyscale texture for instance onto your character, so that in the face or on the hands the strokes are thin and on the general body they are wider.

Here is a very simple example file that uses a Perlin Noise so I don't have to worry about textures:
Thea_InkLines.scn.thea
One Problem ATM is, that it does not work in Presto and I just learned that the devs contemplate removing the Two-Sided option from all engines :-(
http://thearender.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 77#p148676
I hope they reconsider, since one of the best things about Thea is it's flexibility and if it ever wants to get into the production market, things like this make quite a difference.
Fingers crossed... :thumbup:

Cheers,

Tom
Rombout

nice effect but doing a complete model isnt really userfriendly... :)
nigec
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

this may interest you... years ago there was a bug in Max that created a material that was a constant white body, I found if you used BSD and the right settings it gave about as close as we could get to toon shaders
The attachment toon.png is no longer available
rather than posting mats and presets this is my test scene, its really fussy on light settings as well as the BSD preset is direct lighting only so shadows can be really black n ugly

If you look at the material it has a wireframe procedural and a white colour next to it, you need to keep that!

the camera is supposed to be 2048x2048 for all views but I used the scene for tests on the Batch creator
Attachments
toon.png
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
My Gallery
ThomasHelzle
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

nigec wrote:this may interest you... years ago there was a bug in Max that created a material that was a constant white body, I found if you used BSD and the right settings it gave about as close as we could get to toon shaders

rather than posting mats and presets this is my test scene, its really fussy on light settings as well as the BSD preset is direct lighting only so shadows can be really black n ugly

If you look at the material it has a wireframe procedural and a white colour next to it, you need to keep that!

the camera is supposed to be 2048x2048 for all views but I used the scene for tests on the Batch creator
Heheheh - funny. I love such bugs :-)
ATM one other option is to make objects passive emitters so they only show a static colour, although that is loosing shading completely. I'll have to test if the shadow catcher can be abused to bring it back with some more fake geometry...
Would be cool to have a dedicated ink and paint core or materials in Thea, but I at least hope they don't remove the Two-sided option...

Cheers,

Tom
yglemarec
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

i have read this few weeks ago. may be a good exemple of what we can do with your process :

http://nerdist.com/calvin-and-hobbes-st ... yond-cool/
"no pen , no gain ! "

Return to “Tutorials & Translations”