[REQ] Tutorial: Process of creating 2D proxies for SketchUp

Created a nice video, document or a translation of another document? Share it here for licensed users.
Bob James
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

I'm having a lot of trouble understanding the process of creating 2D proxies for SketchUp.

There's a lot of good information at Rombout"s post at
http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtop ... 0&start=20

and Kim's post in this sub-forum
http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtop ... 91&t=18244

but, even combined, they do not cover it from beginning to end.

So a tutorial, including the good ideas from the first topic, would be really helpful.

I apologize if such a tutorial already exists and my searches have not found it.
i7-6800K 3.4Ghz, GTX 1080ti 11GB, 32GB Crucial DDR4-2400 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 1TB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x Dell 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro
Never underestimate the intelligence of your audience nor overestimate your own - Bob James
nigec
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

isn't it also explained in the beta forum Bob?
OK assuming you've made a mod.thea already and you want 2D preview of it:

Import you mod.thea from the browser and place it at origin in SU
start IR, set the view front and set the camera as 1:1, resolution is up to you
once the tree base of the trunk is at the scene edge and the top of the tree at the top, turn off IR and enable the alpha channel.. do a render and save your tree image with alpha
import your image and stretch it to fit you mod.thea's box so the height is the same, you could also trim the image as well at the sides so the height and width are the same.
Delete the mod.thea
place the centre of the trunk at origin, explode it and group
if you wish duplicate the tree and turn the copy 90 degrees
Select both and make a component and set the axis and give it the same name as your mod.thea
save the scene in the same folder as the mod.thea as whateverYourModIs.mod.skp
you may need to restart SU but now in the browser you should see 2 thumbnails together

I think that's it
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
My Gallery
Rombout

Nigec, perhaps we should make a simple batch file for this. We setup a script which import the model, renders 2-4 shots (or more or less) and saves out the files in PNG+alpha. To get around to get people to adjust the file with the names, they just drop there model in foldere, names it like we set it up in ipt file and voila! all done for the planes.

If we ask one of the guru's of sketchucation to make a script import the planes in a cross etc we can have some nice tool. Very easy, very usefull

:mrgreen: idea?

edit
to get around the texture issue we would get when we ask them to drop the mod.file into we could use pack file. Only problem i then see i camera placement. But i think we can get around this by using the "Fit selected to view" when nothing is selected it still works.
Bob James
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

While you're at it why not do it all? 8-) :lol:

https://thearender.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19018

1. Download/import a plant to Thea in obj or fbx (preferred if available) format (assuming fbx is soon to be added to import list)

2. Fix the materials using nigec's process:
http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtop ... g&start=10

3. Per Rombout's suggestion, make a mod.thea model of it and put it in a lib.thea using christina's process:
http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtop ... 61&t=18458

4. Make an SU mod.skp proxy of it using nigec's process:
http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtop ... 16#p140216
i7-6800K 3.4Ghz, GTX 1080ti 11GB, 32GB Crucial DDR4-2400 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 1TB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x Dell 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro
Never underestimate the intelligence of your audience nor overestimate your own - Bob James
Rombout

What do you mean by do it all???

I mean, people do need to have some basic knowledge. Not everything can be done automated, especially material creation. I see you been busy with making models since back in 2013, have you yet not been able to make models properly then?
Bob James
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Rombout wrote:What do you mean by do it all???
I mean, people do need to have some basic knowledge. Not everything can be done automated, especially material creation. I see you been busy with making models since back in 2013, have you yet not been able to make models properly then?
I'm sorry you took my comment seriously: that's why I used 8-) :lol:

However, I will say seriously that I have never successfully completed all four of the steps. And, having been using SU and Thea since 2009 to produce commercially-used engineering and facility process models and renders, I've never had the need to.

But now, having retired, I'd like to learn how. That's why I compiled the steps 1-6 listed in
https://thearender.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=19018
asking if they would be the right workflow to reach step 6
nigec
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

the script would be easy enough, however you'd need to set up cameras manually before had so you might as well just sit and do it manually also you'd need to know the height, width in SU to make the simple proxy.

I thought would would be possible to at least simplify things but its not the case, xfrog and CGAxis are wayyyyyyyyyy different and there's no way to make anything universal.. plus I've no budget left to spend months just doing "this", plus I need help from the team which they don't have the time for
My Gallery
Rombout

Wait you make the simp model manually?

I always just add a the mod file to SU and this makes the simple rectangle in the size of the model.
They should really sometimes listen to us ;)

My idea was more for only doing the rendering steps :) I think the rest of it people already knew.

@bob
Aha, I remember I think. You always showed images of launching platforms and such. Well this r ally no rocket science and super easy. Which steps are you not yet formilliar with?
Ps that lib file creation is only exporting the mod files, when you only do the renders you won't need that.
nigec
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

you said a script, you can't run a thea script in SU
My Gallery

Return to “Tutorials & Translations”