Interior Single Light Setup - Nice results!

Created a nice video, document or a translation of another document? Share it here for licensed users.
sinesium
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hi.
Still going deeper into my madness about "v-ray style" I found this tutorial:
link
I just look for a one thing: the nice & soft v-ray lightning of the scene.

There is one single important thing: The SUN & sky ( +IBL that I have ignored at this case).

Specific setup for the Sun gives ability to have single Light scene with nice soft shading.
It gives a very low noise too. Maybe many of you know that allready. But for me is a great discovery ( I cannot find tutorials for Thea to have better realistic renders ).

You can see complete setup on attached image.
( no external post production - only Thea basics, as you can see ).
This scene has only one active light source - The Sun+Sky ( + IBL BG & REFLECTIONs ).

Maybe Thea should make central knowledge base ( as many of you posted ) with tutorial about: what to do to get certain result, how to render interiors best, how to render exteriors best, how to render physical phenomenons, etc.
Because we are able to find huge knowledge base about V-ray and almost none about Thea.
The strength and all valorous of the Thea can be shown only by good knowledge base and tutorials how to use this powerful tool.
Common knowledge = common usage ( and profits for creators ).
Attachments
TheaInteriorSun-SingleLightSetup.jpg
003_PrestoAO-4096-SSnorm-TheaPostPro.tif
JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Sinesium,

What you're doing is not emulating Vray settings but forcing Thea to create very soft shadows and still have a lot of brightness coming from outside.

What you've done is to increase sun radius so much, that it's turned into an huge sphere casting light from such an wide angle that it only produces soft shadows. These are so soft that it looks like there's an overcast sky on your render. However the sun still has a lot of intensity.

It's a trick, that works in this case where you want soft shadows instead of crisp sun shadows. However, though you have no direct shadows (or VERY VERY soft shadows), sun brightness is still there. I don't believe these are actually physically accurate lighting conditions, so in that aspect you might be right and you might be emulating Vray.

This soft shadows look, is a practice many Vray users use because it's an habit inherited from architectural photography. It's very rare for an professional architectural photographer to shoot interior photos wich have direct sunlight as it burns out details. Even if this happens, it's rarely with sharp sun edges. Often they will let the sun in directly only if there are not much details to shoot at.

So, you've done a trick that emulates the look many Vray users use because they are trying to emulate a trick many architectural photographers use.

You're using artistic freedom and that is very very cool, but you can clearly see what's happening if you increase sun size multiplier to a value of about 50 in an exterior shot looking at the sun. You'll get a Huge sun disk wich means you've increased sun size 50 times. You can increase sun to a point where it gets so big Thea makes it disapear from the sky. The nearer it is from horizon, the smaller it will need to be to disapear. I've managed to put mine at the zenith and make it go away only at 107...
maximum sun 107.jpg
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Intel i7 5820K 3.3Ghz 32Gb Ram
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb
JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Let me just add that you can probably get the seme effect with the turbidity and turbidity coeficient values
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb
sinesium
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Ok. It is fake. But it's nice trick to have good looking interiors.
Physical correct model that produces "sad, noisy & poor" render is not welcome by clients. :)

But at exteriors the "Thea physically correct setup" works quite well without any "v-ray" trick.
sinesium
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

turbidity and turbidity coeficient values alone don't give good looking result ( just a white light, but not enought of soft ligtness ).
JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

sinesium wrote:Ok. It is fake. But it's nice trick to have good looking interiors.
Physical correct model that produces "sad, noisy & poor" render is not welcome by clients.

But at exteriors the "Thea physically correct setup" works quite well without any "v-ray" trick.
You're absolutelly right and you know what you're doing...
turbidity and turbidity coeficient values alone don't give good looking result ( just a white light, but not enought of soft ligtness ).
Now you're not so right look at this render with a sun size multiplier of 1.00
sun with a size of 1.JPG
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb
sinesium
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Render with "the turbidity trick" ( image with setup attached ) it is a bad idea for me.
Sun casts crispy shadows but floor and walls are partially over-burned ( and some parts too dark) - I don't like it. :thumbdown:

It's better to multiply the Sun and get soft shadows and smooth lightning.
( you can see the comparison ).
We can fake more and make Sun crispy shadows by using a spotlight. :)

Nice paradox: We can force real light source to get fake & nice result, and use the "fake" artificial light to imitate the real one - The Sun. :clap:
Attachments
TheaInteriorSun-TurbiditySingleLightSetup.jpg
Multiplier_vs_Turbidity.jpg
saurus
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

For natural soft shadows effect the solution would be IBL lighting only, IMO. It should be physically correct. For fastest render, but not p.c. - hidden emitters on windows only. I guess V-ray users use it a lot. It should look similar to what you've got with big sun.
sinesium
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

I have tested many lights in interiors.
IBL produces too much noise and gives strong background reflection from IBL ( i.e. grass ). It's not good.

My goal is: smooth light - less noise - acceptable render time.

Solution that has it all is a solid value of the Sun multiplier.
( don't have to use light-portals/hidden emitters at windows )

It doesn't matter to be physically corrected. It's all about the mood, feelings and natural look for an observer. That's all. ArchViz is an art not a laboratory.
jc4d
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

sinesium wrote: ArchViz is an art not a laboratory.
Nice quote, can I borrow it? :)

Return to “Tutorials & Translations”