shareable proxy tutorial?

Created a nice video, document or a translation of another document? Share it here for licensed users.
Solo
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

I need to create a few shareable proxy's but for some reason my method does not work, is there a tutorial on how to do this?

I will be sharing with fellow users over a shared dropbox.
Frederik
Thea A Team
Thea A Team

Hi Pete,

Don't know where in the process you're doing something wrong, but here goes...

To create render ready models, which you insert in SU as proxies, you need to import the model to Thea Render.
Make sure scale is correct and then adjust/apply materials to the model...
You'll need to run some test renders to make sure everything is as you want them to appear...

If it's not grouped already, you'll need to group the model parts...
Click the grouped model and move the gizmo to the bottom of the model, where you want the model to "start"...
You do this by clicking the gizmo without moving any of the X, Y or Z arrows and then hit the P-key...
Click the center point of the gizmo (where the arrows are meeting) and move it to the bottom of you model...
(The easiest way to do this is by viewing the model in parallel view - see Thea manual page 66)
Once you're happy with the result, you need to save the model as a scn.thea file... Save it and all bit-map textures that are part of it in the same folder on your hard-drive...

To make it appear in the Thea4SU browser, you need to follow these steps...
The steps are:
1.) Open/import the model you want to use, in the Thea Render Studio.
2.) Adjust all materials making it "render ready".
3.) Group all parts of the model.
4.) Make sure the gizmo of the group is adjusted so it aligns with the X, Y and Z point.
(Use the parallel view in Thea, which makes it much easier to set...)
5.) Click the Model tab and either right-click the part you want to make to a .mod.thea file and select "Automation > Build Preview" or click the "Build All Previews" icon.
6.) In the Thea Browser panel, click the "+" (read: plus sign) and select the "/Models" option from the menu.
By Default Thea4SU will open the "C:\ProgramData\Thea Render\Models" location, but you are able to create folders anywhere you want on your hard drive and browse for it.
(personally I stick to the default location...)
7.) If you want you can right-click in the Browser panel and create a new folder, making it easier for you to control the various models you're going to make.
Double-click the folder where you want the .mod.thea file to be in.
8.) From the Models tab, simply drag the model down to the folder in the Thea Browser panel.

Voila, you're done and you can now use that model as a proxy model in SU using the Thea For SketchUp tool...

If you - in addition - create a simplified model of that specific component and save the 'skippy' in the same folder as the .mod.thea file, it will be used when inserting the proxy...

Hope this can help you further... :)
Cheers
Kim Frederik

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success..."
-Malcolm X
Solo
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Frederick

I have no problems making proxy's that I can use on my machine, the problem is sharing them.

Is there a way i can open a proxy in studio and somehow pack or export it so that a person on another computer can use it, currently they only get the proxy which is empty when rendering, I tried sending the original model and all materials in a separate folder but asking them to map all of it themselves is asking too much.
Rombout

I think for sharing you need to export it from the models tab in thea studio. The other method doesnt collect its textures. You do need to also do the drag method to make a thea4su proxy and than zip this along with the pack file
Frederik
Thea A Team
Thea A Team

Solo wrote:...the problem is sharing them.
:think: I know you can make model libraries, which will get installed, but I don't know how to make them... :oops:
Let's see what Christina can enlighten us with... :)
Cheers
Kim Frederik

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success..."
-Malcolm X
nigec
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Seem to me the easiest way would be:
Export the proxy models from Thea as a mod.pack
Save them to a folder on root ie C:\MyScene
Use WinRAR or 7z to extract the archives
In SU open the Thea Browser and add C:\MyScene as a custom folder
Your proxies will now show
save your project in the same folder and away you go, get the end user to use the same location, they my need to set the custom location, but I don't think so
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
My Gallery
Rombout

Just like i said already earlier ;)

One thing is in order to make a proxy setup you also need to drag a model from thea model tab to the browser in the bottom. You need a model for thea4su to even make a proxy.

Zip the mod.skp and mod.pack in one file and than later extract them in the same folder
christina
admin
admin

Hello!
We currently do not have such a tutorial but the most basic steps of the procedure have been given already by Frederik.

For having correct thea models, you will need to save them and send them as mat packs so that the textures to be there and also, have the corresponding skp files to the same folder.
Create the model, group it, then go to Scene > Models tab and build the preview.
Then drag and drop this preview to the Browser. Right click to the model and press export. This will produce a mod.pack that allow you to use the model to other machines too.

Inside SketchUp, locate the folder with the model via Model Browser and import the model inside SU. Make preview renders to build a SU model (see thea for sketchup manual at pages 17-18).

The user will need to have all in the same folder for correct preview.

There is also a way to create a Thea library that will include all the needed models so that the user will have all in one file.
@solo: I will send you an email if this is needed with the steps to create it (send me a message to christina@solidiris.com)
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Rombout

Well you've got 3 explinations now!!! cant be that hard any more :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

Return to “Tutorials & Translations”