Infinite Grass Tutorial

Created a nice video, document or a translation of another document? Share it here for licensed users.
rogerpenna
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

This is an old technique that still finds it´s uses if you don´t want to bother with 3D grass and thinks grass mapped the traditional way on a surface get´s too fake

it´s not as good as 3d grass, but it´s faster and many times, depending on the perspective used, it´s better than a mapped grass texture.

here... just made a terrain in Sketchup, threw a grass texture over it, opened in Thea and set the mapping type to FRONT.

here I corrected the mapping so that the horizon is above the hills level and the botton part of the image, with the grass close to me, is near the botton of the camera

notice that the grass image stays FIXED on the screen, no matter what angle you see the objects mapped with it. Thus, it will only work on "spectator height" levels

images side by side from different angles... notice the background image doesn´t move
ImageImage

being used in a closer shot to objects

settings to this particular image I used (might change if you find a different "infinite grass" image)

the original image I used is seamless horizontally and is 3000x7000 pixels PNG, 21 megabytes in size, so it´s hard to share here...

Return to “Tutorials & Translations”