Process of making sewed carpet?

Created a nice video, document or a translation of another document? Share it here for licensed users.
d4m4rk
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Hi, just wondering how would you make sewed carpet like http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/ ... 9c7a07.jpg ? Will be quite close to the camera so really should be kind of medium quality thing. Though doesn't have to be perfect, just impression of sewed carped would be enough. Was thinking about making as low poly model as possible and give it a bit displacement map. UV mapping is just the thing I'm bit worried about. Any experience anyone?
Cheers, Mark.
d4m4rk
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

At first "sewed" isn't the right word, "crochet" is, sorry for that. Anyway if helpful for anyone then just used single plane, diffuse, transparency, bump & displacement map. Very simple solution for medium quality from medium distance.
Attachments
tmp_11220-K5-110743237.jpg
rogerpenna
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I guess a displacement map is the most important part because you need to show the "thickness" of the crochet threads.

On the other hand, I guess you needs LOTS of subdivisions in a mesh to get a good displacement effect for crochet, right?
d4m4rk
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Usually for carpets I use pretty low subdivision- around after every 15-30cm for both direction. Dont have the file atm, but pretty sure in this case used the same method.
Rombout

depends on how much time you want to invest, displacement would add time for render. Model simple form and add good normal map is better i think. If you need closeup perhaps displacement is better else the normal map would suffice

Return to “Tutorials & Translations”