Mysterious WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR when rendering animation

Ask a question about usage of application or give us your feedback regarding new features and bug issues.

Moderator: Tomasz

OliverM
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I am owning my Thea license for years now. Never had any issues. Renderings were always created fast and reliable. But since i started trying to render an animation there is nothing but trouble and crashes. What I actually want is to create an animation with 300 frames which in turn requires the system to run stable over 12-15 hours at full load. My rig should be well prepared for a job like that. An ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS main board with 2 Xeon E5 v3 (32 Cores). 64Gb Samsung High Quality RAM, 2 ASUS GTX 980, a huge Phanteks box packed with 10x 140mm Noctua fans. The rig is cleaned on a regular basis and the average CPU temp at full load is around 45 degrees. Same with both GTX980, average temp when heavily gaming or rendering is around 50 degrees. No overclocking or any other Voodoo was done with the machine. Settings haven't been changed over years because there was simply no need for it.

Opposite to a single render (say Presto AO )which can run for hours without any single issue, the animation rendering always crashes somewhere along the way with a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. It can happen when rendering the 5th frame or the 150th. It seems to happen at a random point but it crashes anytime. In most cases it reboots afterwards like normal in some cases it no longer recognizes the second GTX and I have to take both cards out wait a little and put them back in. Afterwards both cards can be used like normal. To drive me even more bananas sometimes the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR does not pup up instead the system dies silently, Screen goes black, does not want to come back and the rig needs a hard reset.

If I enable both gpu's and all cpu's the rig crashes. If I enable gpu 1 only and both cpu's the rig crashes. If I enable gpu2 only and both cpu's the rig crashes. If I disable both gpu's and only use cpu's for rendering the machine does not crash. But if it was an issue with one or both GTX why can I use them for heavy gaming and they never crash? Why don't they crash when rendering a single picture for hours?

Thanks for any help on that
nigec
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

the error is a hardware issue:
If you receive a blue screen error (also known as a stop code), it means that your PC has shut down suddenly to protect itself from data loss. If you see the text “WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR,” it means that a hardware error has occurred.
MS recommend updating the system and drivers

the only thing I would say as far as Thea goes is don't use "Frame" under network cooperation
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
My Gallery
Tomasz
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Would you have a sample skp file with a very simple animation that crashes?
If we will manage to replicate the crash, then the fix should be available in the new major release.

Return to “Support & Feedback (SketchUp)”