[Q] System lagging while rendering Thea4SU 1.5

Ask a question about usage of application or give us your feedback regarding new features and bug issues.

Moderator: Tomasz

Dave Paukner
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

I just installed Thea4SU v1.5 on a new machine i7 8gen, 32gb RAM with a 1080ti video card.

Rendering with Presto AO

I have GPU and CPU priority set to low.

The system is very slow and when I need to move move anything (in model or another program) It is incredibly slow and choppy.

Any thoughts on what I might be able to do to improve performance? It seems like with this new hardware, this should not be happening.

Also, when rendering with the Presto engine, the FPS goes from 16FPS rather quickly to about 1.2 FPS

Again, ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Pixero
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

I have answered your question here: https://sketchucation.com/forums/viewto ... 27#p642113
Dave Paukner
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

he CPU has 12 threads, and I set it to use 4. When I use task manager to see view processes, the CPU is pegged at 100% use and the same for the GPU.

The priority is set to low for both CPU and GPU.
On my laptop with no graphics card and a CPU with 4 threads, the responsive of the system is far better.

Any ideas of what else I might need to adjust.

At the moment, this is pretty disappointing.
Tomasz
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

In general, if you want your system to be fully responsive while rendering with GPU is to have two graphics cards. One of them will be use for rendering (the more powerful) and the second for standard displaying of the screen content.
Is your system responsive when rendering just with CPU?
You may want to set the Priority of GPU to "Lowest".
There is a large GPU improvement in performance in v2.0, but you will still experience the lag at the full speed.
Dave Paukner
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tomasz wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:20 pm In general, if you want your system to be fully responsive while rendering with GPU is to have two graphics cards. One of them will be use for rendering (the more powerful) and the second for standard displaying of the screen content.
There is a large GPU improvement in performance in v2.0, but you will still experience the lag at the full speed.
So if I install a second video card, it will not need to be identical to the 1080ti?
Yes, the ssytem is much more responsive if I am only using the CPU, but that defeats the purchase of the 1080Ti, so I love the ability to use both.

I'll be upgrading to V2.0 in the next week or so. :D
christos
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Dave Paukner wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:22 pm
Tomasz wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:20 pm In general, if you want your system to be fully responsive while rendering with GPU is to have two graphics cards. One of them will be use for rendering (the more powerful) and the second for standard displaying of the screen content.
So if I install a second video card, it will not need to be identical to the 1080ti?
It isn't necessary to get an identical to the 1080ti. It could by any other GPU (AMD or NVidia) you can use on your system, just don't use it for rendering because it defeats the purpose ;)

Another option is get a mid range GPU which can also contribute while rendering and keep it at the lowest priority.

Return to “Support & Feedback (SketchUp)”