Still no official anmd simple answer......

Ask a question about usage of application or give us your feedback regarding new features and bug issues.

Moderator: Tomasz

All Seeing One
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Been thanked: 0

"BIG" shout out of thanks to those who chimed in with help on this thread, I am finally making headway and getting decent spherical renders now for a big VR project. Using Presto AO, I'm getting results plenty good enough to immerse the viewer in 5hrs per scene, rather than the 40hrs I estimated it was going to take in Presto MC. :shock:

Don't get me wrong, damn software still has its real annoying habits but I'm going to switch to v2 after this job so hopefully some will be resolved by then. :crazy:
RYZEN 3950X, X570, 64GB DDR3200, RTX3090
jc4d
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

I'm glad that everything was sort out and you manage to move forward with your project :)

If possible you could show us the final images when everything is ready.
All Seeing One wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:48 pm Don't get me wrong, damn software still has its real annoying habits but I'm going to switch to v2 after this job so hopefully some will be resolved by then
Every software has its own quirks, that's why it is so important for us the users to report and suggest as much as possible.
All Seeing One
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Been thanked: 0

Yes I can do that, will be a week or so probably as my workstation is solidly running renders for the project one after another and there's something like 20 to do.

A big oddity I had was (apologies if not clear)

I modelled a large conference suite fully and applied materials, lights etc. Then, because the room sub-divides into 3 smaller units I saved that model 3 more times, slicing off the building parts not used in each to simplify the model.

All models at this point have the same materials and light settings.

So then with your help, I worked on the render settings as detailed in this thread which only ended up requiring tweaks to AO settings and boosting the power output of a couple of emitters. Once this room was sorted, I created a separate model from it with each seating layout. All worked perfectly when tested.

Then, I made another copy and brought in the model of one of the other sub rooms into the perfectly working one. Matched materials of the emitters and deleted out the original geometry. So I had a copy of the perfectly working room with it's geometry replaced with that from another sub room to retain continuity of set up etc.

Weirdly the emitters rendered black? tried a few times, emitters stayed black. Reverted and then deleted the lights on the new room and copied in the ones from the perfectly working room. Emitters stayed black !?!?

In the end I went into the model of the second room, and copied everything across except any lighting elements. Then I transferred the lights from the working geometry to the other and deleted the remaining original geometry.... and it worked.

So 3 sub rooms all shared common lighting material and lights but when one had changes applied and another sub room was brought into it and had it's lighting values matched to the working one they stopped working. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
RYZEN 3950X, X570, 64GB DDR3200, RTX3090
JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Sorry for getting into this again and so late. I have also only read the whole thread diagonally, but...

Cranking up light values shouldn't be needed at all. If that's ypur solution then you have another issue that you haven't solved. So, for people reading this thread, don't try cranking up your light values try these steps instead:

- have all your lights with normal values, especially IES lights.

- scale of your project. If the project is not in real world scale light wilk be too weak. Thea light emulates real light and it will get dimmer in the distance.

- if you have environment, hdri or sun outside, first check if their power isn't too high. High power on environment will impose on artificial lights which are way weaker. If hdri power is multiplied, for instance, light will lower porportionally

- exposure - shutter, iso, fstop values will influence how much light your camera will be sensitive to. Lower iso will make things darker, lower shutter and fstop will make things brighter.

- on Presto having AO turned on will create two effects: renders will clear faster and image will be greyed out. To avoid greying out you must control AO levels. That's really what it looked initially. If you turn AO off image will look naturally lit and that is your case. So the issue is, most probably, AO levels and there is no formula for that, it's trial and error usually unless you have all rooms of the same size, same object density and same lighting conditions...
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Intel i7 5820K 3.3Ghz 32Gb Ram
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb
Rombout

Its weird that after copying over the lights from a different scene, that the suddenly do work. If those lights were already there, it should have worked the first time. You sure those lights were in the copied scene?

Return to “Support & Feedback (SketchUp)”