Is Thea Render 2.0 going to arrive?

Ask a question about usage of application or give us your feedback regarding new features and bug issues.

Moderator: Tomasz

leminilab
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

SandroS wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:14 pm 1. ask permission to use the featured images
2. at the very least credit the images with a contact detail of the creator's choice
Nobody asked your permission? :o
Live every day as if it were your last and then some day you'll be right.
gnuiorc
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

leminilab wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:41 pm
SandroS wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:14 pm 1. ask permission to use the featured images
2. at the very least credit the images with a contact detail of the creator's choice
Nobody asked your permission? :o
Very unprofessional.

Ciao,
Gio
Solo
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

giphy-downsized.gif
giphy-downsized.gif (484.96 KiB) Viewed 680 times
dbalex
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

SandroS wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:14 pm
i have to say if that is a fairly comprehensive review of V2 it is very disappointing. There really doesn't seem to be much added over V1 apart from the addition of NR (which is essentially a 3rd party plugin) and some additional tone mapping controls... surely this is only a small part of what is coming?
[/quote]

I'm sorry to say but I feel exactly the same as you... was hoping for a bit more then only playing catchup to the competition.

A new interface for the Thea4SUplugin? Ok why not but at least don't let it come in the way of some real new features! just 2 new features? tonemapping and denoiser (very happy that we got these 2 by the way) but I feel it's more like small update... maybe it's an update that we should see as the 64bit update to sketchup. Just a small update because all the time was spent on the UI but that will lead to more updates with new features on the way. Maybe... just maybe... it's the start of something big... but we can't keep on waiting for something for so long...

Please let the connection to the webmaterialsrepository be the base to something like big like VRSCANS, let the new tonemapping features be the start of a lot of new darkroom features like lens flare, bloom, interactive glare, LUTs, ... I tested vray for the first time this year and it was really impressive what you could do with the darkroom there. I really hope we don't have to wait years for another smallish update....
nilbleu
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Been thanked: 0

quickit wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:35 pm Why isn't there any announcement on the forum or newsletter?
I have some difficulties understanding the marketing of thea... :roll:
+1
jdebruin
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Okay after watching the webinar i learned the following:

i am impressed with the denoise features in thea render for sketchup

Release for vs 2.0 is towards the end of this month, nothing was said about pricing.

Cetain AMD cards with open GL are now supported on WIN, no MAC OS

Tone Mapping showed a few profiles, but only the filmic tone mapping was shown during the presentation.

Hoping that for existing users the "update" price will be discounted...
Anthony
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

In relation to support for Mac OS. Considering that Apple deprecated OpenCL and shifted to Metal for compute and real-time rendering this will require additional development. Much like Thea, every piece of software will need considerable re-development if they are to modernize themselves to capitalize upon the benefits of Metal.
“ No man ever made a great discovery without the exercise of the imagination. ”
— George Henry Lewes
jdebruin
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Anthony wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:32 am In relation to support for Mac OS. Considering that Apple deprecated OpenCL and shifted to Metal for compute and real-time rendering this will require additional development. Much like Thea, every piece of software will need considerable re-development if they are to modernize themselves to capitalize upon the benefits of Metal.

Enjoyed your explanation, i have seen the same happen with Affinity Designer & Affinity Photo using Metal for Mac Os and it is such an improvement vs adobe's ability of graphic processing,

We might see a rendering solution from a company soon that is based on Metal...that would be some development :shock:
stinkie
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

SandroS wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:14 pm also, if that presentation is made by Solidthinking/Altair, could the appropriate representative please either:

1. ask permission to use the featured images
3. if either of the above are too much hassle or deemed not worthy of effort then that's fine but don't use the image.
Yeah.

It struck me as odd they used an image that is what, six, seven years old?

The presentation as such was a tad underwhelming, IMHO.
Anthony
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

If you are interested in having a look at how Metal is used for raytracing you can have a read here:
https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... ay_tracing

Lots of technical talk am afraid but you can use Metal for ray intersection acceleration, much like Embree for example.
jdebruin wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:17 am
Anthony wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:32 am In relation to support for Mac OS. Considering that Apple deprecated OpenCL and shifted to Metal for compute and real-time rendering this will require additional development. Much like Thea, every piece of software will need considerable re-development if they are to modernize themselves to capitalize upon the benefits of Metal.

Enjoyed your explanation, i have seen the same happen with Affinity Designer & Affinity Photo using Metal for Mac Os and it is such an improvement vs adobe's ability of graphic processing,

We might see a rendering solution from a company soon that is based on Metal...that would be some development :shock:
“ No man ever made a great discovery without the exercise of the imagination. ”
— George Henry Lewes

Return to “Support & Feedback (SketchUp)”