Rendering of bad meshes with face normal issues

Ask a question about usage of application or give us your feedback regarding new features and bug issues.

Moderator: christos

Rombout

In blender we can also check for double vertices, this does merge separate planes as well though, so be careful! But perhaps you can run a command tris to quads orso as well?
Benjamin76
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

D-W wrote:Benji when u run weld command welded edges will be shown as yellow lines before hiting enter - always analyze what degree will be best for u.

I know it will import solids but u can then run ExtractRenderMesh if u don't need editable solid and get lighter version. About organising stuff via material - did u know that u can assign material to certain layer and all objects will recieve this mat in rhino? also u can select objects by material - right click on mat and select objects.

Btw. if u get simple divided solids then run MergeAllFaces it will reduce not needed planar srf count on planar objects.

Assigning mats to combined mesh objects reminds me sketchfab pipeline... Bit painful for me :mrgreen:
ExtractRenderMesh is a good method. Thanks for reminding me about that. I am pretty new to all the mesh-related commands in Rhino. However, I tried it with my scene and it made the file size even bigger.

I think you didn't quite get why I bothered to take a detour through 3dsmax and OBJ. Revit organize geometries by categories, families, and instances. When you directly important them into Rhino (either through DWG solids or VisualARQ). The layers are based on object categories such as walls, windows, etc., not based on materials. That just makes things a lot more trickier, because a single wall can be assigned with several different materials in Revit (that is also why lots of composite materials are generated when when linking a Revit scene in 3dsMax). However, 3dsMax does provide an option to regenerate combined mesh geometries based on material when linking a Revit scene. That is the path I've been following.

The screenshot below shows what it looks like when directly importing a Revit scene to Rhino. You can see sofas and beds are all on the furniture layer. Any all of them are individual blocks as well, without any convenient way to separate geometries by material.
2017-06-22_105113.jpg
All those low quality models in the test file are just components from Revit. I know they are crappy, but in reality, few busy architects would bother to model furniture (unless that is part of the design objective), downloading components from RevitCity is a no-brainer. I just need to find a way to use them effectively with Thea for Rhino.

I've been trying hard to improve efficiency in the workflow so that more people can use Thea. You cannot believe how effortlessly dumb it is to do renderings in Revit. Yet with Autodesk promoting cloud rendering with stereo VR options, lots of people just stick to Revit rendering even if the quality is really low.
My Thea for Rhino blog with tutorials and downloads: https://archvisfangxu.wordpress.com/
My Real-Time Architectural Design in Unreal Engine blog with videos and downloads: https://designcommunicationfx.com/

Return to “Support & Feedback (Rhino)”