Noise

Ask a question about usage of application or give us your feedback regarding new features and bug issues.

Moderator: christos

Bogdan
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hello!
I'm getting this noise in the background of the image and I don't know how to get rid of it.
I'm rendering with Unbiased TR1 Production mode iso100 shutter30 relight and repaint on.

Is it because of low light? Or shroud I wait more? Right now I am at 568.34x4 s/p.
Attachments
Unbiased TR1 Production mode iso100 shutter30 relight repaint.jpg
background noise zoom.jpg
background noise zoom.jpg (245.02 KiB) Viewed 491 times
Hieru
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

The highlighted area looks like fireflies rather than noise. The most common cause is lights (point, mesh, or area) intersecting with geometry.

Another common cause is using materials with pure white i.e. 255, 255, 255.

Some HDRs can cause fireflies also. You can easily test that by running a render using Thea sky with no IBL (region render the poblematic area).
george
Thea Render Team
Thea Render Team

Have you used a Glossy layer for the window panels?
Can you please hide most of the geometry in the scene to the point where you still having fireflies?
This would help to narrow down overlapping surfaces or any material / light causing these issues.

Greetings,
George
Bogdan
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Here's another test.
So far I realized that the fireflies on the ceiling in the far background could have been caused by a pure white material, as Hieru says. The pure white material was the default rhino material and it was assigned on the floor of the room in the far background.

This is quite a workflow drawback, since I have to make sure that I replace the default material with some 240,240,240 material even on the geometry which is not actually visible. (otherwise i will get fireflies by default).

So far i replaced the material for the tables chairs floor lamps and the tall white cabinets on the wall.
The only artificial light source i have are the spots which use the Fluorescent 100w white material. I have a clear space between the light object and the spot of 1cm so they don't intersect.

The HDRI is only applied as a Background mapping, I use sun and skylight for illumination.

Hi George,
For the glass i use the clear glass material.
I attached a screenshot of my layers and as you can see the scene is quite complicated.
It will take a while to hide an show all the stuff that i have there.
Right now i suspect the Fluorescent material and i will start by switching off that one.

I think that it would be better if Thea would replace automatically the Rhino default material with some safe Thea material. Since the rhino default material is pure white, the chance of getting fireflies is very high for rhino users. It is easy to forget a wall or a piece of furniture added in the last minute and than all the scene gets compromised.
Now i changed everything manually.

And also, is the render region thing working for TR1? I click on the button and nothing is happening. The drop-down menu is grayed out, I have to render all the scene every time.
Attachments
background noise zoom 2.jpg
background noise zoom 2.jpg (187.44 KiB) Viewed 458 times
layers.jpg
Hieru
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Bogdan wrote:This is quite a workflow drawback, since I have to make sure that I replace the default material with some 240,240,240 material even on the geometry which is not actually visible. (otherwise i will get fireflies by default).
I agree. With plugins I really think it should be standard practice for default materials to be set below 255, 255, 255 (Thea4SU does this).
Bogdan wrote:For the glass i use the clear glass material.
This could well be the reason for the remaining fireflies. I would recommend using Thin Glass wherever possible.
Bogdan wrote:And also, is the render region thing working for TR1? I click on the button and nothing is happening. The drop-down menu is grayed out, I have to render all the scene every time.
It should work with all engines and plugins. I don't know what the workflow is for Rhino, but in Studio and Thea4SU you have to start a render, stop it, then 'right click + drag' (left to right) over the region you want to render and then start rendering again.
Bogdan
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Another test in which i replaced all rhino default material with a basic thea material 178,178,178.
I also replaced the clear glass material with the thin glass material and I made the thickness of the glass 0.5cm.
I used basic white plastic 240,240,240 for chairs tables and lamps.

I still can't use render region. I tried starting, stopping, pausing, re selecting from left to right from right to left nothing seems to work.

The background is still noisy but most of the fireflies have disappeared. If you have more suggestions please post. Now i have to movie on to the next image.
Attachments
background noise zoom 3.jpg
background noise zoom 3.jpg (169.22 KiB) Viewed 433 times
nigec
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

why is repaint on? are you using Colimo?
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
My Gallery
Hieru
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

For window glass I wouldn't use thickness, just a plane. If you really need double reflections then you can use two planes - but not connected as a solid.

With TR1 you will simply have to wait for the noise to clear. It will clear a lot faster with Presto, even if you can only run it on your CPU.

For this scenario Presto AO is the fastest option. Set the distance to double the length of your interior interior and the strength to 0.2-2 - you will have to experiment for the best results.
Rombout

Those big white panels are probably noisy cause you seem to use translucency on them. This takes longer to clear.
3DCGdesign
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

I was getting fireflies like that in one scene where I then shut off the sun, and fireflies went away - luckily in that case I didn't need the sun on, but it's not a solution in most cases.

Agree with the translucent panel noise comment. Translucency takes longer to clear for sure.

Return to “Support & Feedback (Rhino)”