IBL (HDRI) rendering

Ask a question about usage of application or give us your feedback regarding new features and bug issues.

Moderator: patricks

patricks
Thea Technical Artist
Thea Technical Artist
Has thanked: 0

Hi everybody

you may have noticed that when rendering with HDRI as light source , that some HDRI render faster and clear up earlier then others ... this totally depend on the dynamic range of the HDRI and also if it has a lof of small light that actually dont contribute a lot to the final image or reflective metallic objects ... (they normally produce a lot of noise)
another drawback is that if you want to us and see the HDRI in the background, you normally will need a very high resolution HDRI which takes up a lot of values RAM.

Thea IBL system allows to take advantage of a known technique to speedup rendering with HDRI and also to have a nice crisp background image without needing a high resolution HDRI :) i also want to present here a nice free tool that will help you producing the different maps for Thea IBL system .... it is the sIBL editor which you can find here
http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/index.html

you can use any of the free HDRI packs they offer or use your own HDRI with this program by simply dropping it to the app and it will automatically creat the different maps 8-) ( of cause you can also edit you maps inside the program for fine tweaking ) .... using this technique really makes a differance ;)

Greetings Patrick
Attachments
IBL_rendering_02[2].jpg
IBL_rendering_02[2].jpg (257.87 KiB) Viewed 5100 times
" Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars - mere globs of gas atoms.
I too, can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more ? "

Richard P. Feynman
patricks
Thea Technical Artist
Thea Technical Artist

.... of cause this is not the only way to use Thea IBL ( HDRI) Environment ..... if you only have a single HDRI from the web and load it to the Illumination channel and dont use any other images in the remaining channels ( background, reflection and reflection channel ), Thea will use the 1 HDRI from the illumination channel for all other channels ..... so Thea also supports the "traditional" way you may be familiar from other programs

Greetings Patrick
" Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars - mere globs of gas atoms.
I too, can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more ? "

Richard P. Feynman
imodel
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Been thanked: 0

Thanks for the info Patrick. Is there a way to rotate the environment in Thea?
patricks
Thea Technical Artist
Thea Technical Artist

Hi imodel

you can get the information here :)
http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtop ... =54&t=2119

Greetings Patrick

Richard P. Feynman
imodel
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Is there a file size limit for .hdr file?
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

I'd say that this is limited by machine RAM.

best wishes
giannis
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
imodel
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Oh. :o

3 GB CPU
1 GB GPU

150 MB .hdr file?
PINOY
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

@PATRICK: Where can i find illumination channel? :?
Thanks
notareal
Thea Support
Thea Support

It's the first channel with title "Image Based Lighting". Maybe that should be changed to "Illumination Mapping" or similar.
PINOY
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

WOW! that was so quick! Thanks mate,i'll look for it.

Return to “Support & Feedback (Studio)”