dropping in here

Introduce yourself!

by _juju_ » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:07 pm

Below is an extract of the template for introductions. Basically adopting Thea as main rendering solution as it seems to suit my idea of workflow better. I hope to learn here, and on the odd occasion, hope offer some useful insight on matters.

Name: Julian Smith

Living in: Durbanville, Cape Town, South Africa

Member of: this forum, sketchUcation, various other online forums

Studies: architecture & design

Working Experience: let's just say I've been in the field for more than 20 years...

Favorite Dish: the last one I had

Favorite Music: depends on the mood I'm in

Hobbies: architecture, design, computers
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.
_juju_
Thea Licensed User
Thea Licensed User

by Rombout » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:27 pm

Welcome and hope you learn a lot!
Rombout
Thea Beta Tester (Distinction)
Thea Beta Tester (Distinction)

by gwengosch » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:00 pm

Welcome!
Gwenael Gosch
La fabrique à plans
http://www.lafabriqueaplans.fr
Facebook
gwengosch
Thea Licensed User
Thea Licensed User

by JQL » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:03 am

Sketchucation rwgulars will feel at home here... Welcome!
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Intel i7 5820K 3.3Ghz 32Gb Ram
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb
JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

by jiminy-billy-bob » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:36 pm

Coming from Indigo, right?
Why did you drop it?
jiminy-billy-bob
Thea Licensed User
Thea Licensed User

by _juju_ » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi jiminy!

I still have the licence, in fact I upgraded it last year when v4 beta became commercially available.

Thea's luminance / illuminance false colour rendering was a strong drawing card, Indigo might still develop that but there is no telling when right now. Of course the way Thea integrates with SU helps. The substance converter also doesn't hurt...

WHAAT (who's a great guy) no longer seem to be doing the skIndigo coding, I think he has had his innings supporting skIndigo and is focussing on his own projects. I think Onosendai is doing it himself now, not sure. But I've seen some of the plugins suffer development when the main / original coder loses interest or no longer actively supports it, I think SU is one of Indigo's main user bases, so I don't expect them to let the development suffer there... Development cycle between major releases is long, between v3 and v4 (beta, commercial) was a good few years, they do have a number of intermediate releases though, so your access to current releases do also stretch somewhat which helps. Don't get me wrong, its a good product and the OpenCL GPU rendering is good and quick, some materials seem to suffer incompatibilities (between CPU render and GPU render) now and again, but I felt like I needed a change, for now at least. I'm keeping my licence for now, we'll see what the future holds.

The first rendering software I bought was Podium, it was good for the time and easy to use; I moved to LightUp from there (also does luminance / illuminance false colour rendering) but the renders always looked a bit cartoonish, probably just my lack of skill; I moved to Indigo from there; and here I am now.

Thea seems like it does what I want / need right now without me having to switch between products and redo lighting layouts when I want to do a luminance / illuminance false colour simulation.
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.
_juju_
Thea Licensed User
Thea Licensed User

Return to Who Is