If life gives you lemons, render them perfectly ...

Introduce yourself!

by SCP » Thu May 21, 2015 7:35 pm

Hi All —

Located in the “Silicon Valley” area of California (USA), I’m new to both Thea Render and image rendering in general.

I have some history of composing music, using MIDI (a framework for digital music-making) to “perform” it. MIDI is super-flexible, which well suits artists who crave to express their uniqueness through their musical creations. So it is that many MIDI-based compositions purposely sound really weird and unlike anything heard before. But in most of my compositions, I’ve strived to re-create, as accurately as possible, the sounds of traditional acoustic instruments and playing techniques. To the extent that I've succeeded, listeners would be hard-pressed to say whether they're hearing a MIDI rendering made on my computer or a recording of trained and practiced human performers playing physical instruments.

Why do I mention my “realism” goal in the musical context? Well, it’s because, in the domain of design visualization, I find I’m fascinated by an analogous goal: to achieve photo-realism and fidelity to physical principles of physics in the rendering of images. Given that aim, it’s understandable how I would have zeroed in on Thea Render. Realism is at it's heart!

Over the last few years I’ve developed a deep appreciation for the Architecture, Engineering, & Construction (AEC) field, which I’d never recognized during the 35 years of my career as an electrical engineer and software developer. Teaching myself about AEC, I’ve been spending a lot of time exploring the application of 3D visualization to building design and construction. SketchUp Pro is one of the principal tools I’ve been using.

But, as many of you probably know, SketchUp itself goes only so far toward rendering realistic-looking design representations. In fact, SketchUp seems intended to facilitate “quick and dirty” design exploration, substantially at the expense of visual realism. It relies on other tools to achieve realism, if that’s what one wants.

So, more or less, that’s how I came to Thea Render. I’ve purchased a commercial license for Thea Render Studio and the SketchUp Plug-In. I don’t know, though, if I’ll end up actually using TR for a commercial endeavor, or whether it will just be part of a framework for making something tangible from my intellectual aspirations.

At 66, I’m a bit of an old guy, but not exactly retired. I see that I have many fewer years left than the ones I’ve already lived, so I’m trying to make the most of my remaining time. I do this by identifying things that interest me but that I haven’t explored before. I don’t mind risking a little money if I think it might open new possibilities. Thea Render will certainly do that!
SCP
Thea Licensed User
Thea Licensed User

by tavih14 » Thu May 21, 2015 11:06 pm

Hi SCP, glad you are taking the plunge and taking the initiative to learn something new! I've recently started new with thea and also live the in the tech hub of the world. The people here are awesome. Always willing to help and find solutions to any and all problems. I'm sure they would be able to help with anything you have a question about. Welcome to the community!
tavih14
Thea Licensed User
Thea Licensed User

by nigec » Fri May 22, 2015 11:22 am

Welcome!
At 66 your a mere kid compared to some :lol: we have a nice retired home going on, and "when I was a lad" is perfectly acceptable... I'm in the low 50 somethings but still that white light is accelerating fast these days even though I'm slowing down noticeably.

We can never have enough toys, I hope you and Thea can gel, if not ...ask!! someone will always help :)
nigec
Thea Licensed User
Thea Licensed User

by JQL » Fri May 22, 2015 12:03 pm

Most cool kids of your age I know, are awesome!
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Intel i7 5820K 3.3Ghz 32Gb Ram
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb
JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

by warnotte » Fri May 22, 2015 12:16 pm

Nice to meet another MIDI fan ;)
warnotte

by Tomasz » Wed May 27, 2015 2:18 pm

warnotte wrote:Nice to meet another MIDI fan ;)

Welcome! Watching warnotte's music videos made with Thea is a must for you. :)

Tomasz
Thea Plugin Developer
Thea Plugin Developer

by warnotte » Wed May 27, 2015 2:34 pm

Héhé why not, thanks for the advert TomasZ ;)

But you can find more there http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtop ... ilit=silly if interested
warnotte

Return to Who Is