Suggestions box

Smalltalk and interesting stuff about everything else.
Rombout
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:57 am

D-W wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:13 am
This one looks like Megascans asset and i can confirm that displacement isn't handled "as it should be". Since this is just a personal statement due to rough facts i'm using displacements a lot and i'm always struggling with some kind of weird artifacts - in my case usually shading issues - like normals go crazy - one thing i found that when using displacement better use also bump since normal maps are causing also weird behaviors - i usually turn off smoothing since to my eye smoothing causes also weird shading on object.

Displacement issues were reported many times. Maybe one day things will change in this area. I know one thing for sure - Megascans assets are prepared very precisely.
It has been stated in earlier thea that normal maps and displacement cause issues. THats quite normal. because displacement sets vertices in a different location. Where the nornal maps have the data in the textures from prior. In dont think other engines can handle this as well.
Rombout
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:01 am

littleche wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:54 am
Rombout wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:16 am
Im not sure what your problem is with issue 2. What are you trying to explain here, i dont really get it by looking at the image. It seem more something due to the maps and base model.

Displacement is still acting weird in some cases. Its been reported couple times and i reported it again for v2. I have not heard about a fix yet
hello Rombout. this model is standard because came from megascan company. it is so clearly! thea is feeble and slow in displacement!
It depends on your settings and displacement is always slower. I also dont understand why its slowing down the a render that much. I mean once the calculations has been done, why is the initial render much slower.

You do need take in mind what settings you use. I prefer to do displacement in the model app and do pre-displacement. THea handles 100k's of polys much easier than when they are displaced
littleche

Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:44 pm

2 more request ;)
3.jpg
4.jpg
These users thanked the author littleche for the post:
Hieru (Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:55 am)
Rating: 4%
Nabi Sarvi.

my thea render gallery: https://goo.gl/NVhKgE
littleche

Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:47 pm

[/quote]
It depends on your settings and displacement is always slower. I also don't understand why its slowing down the a render that much. I mean once the calculations has been done, why is the initial render much slower.

You do need take in mind what settings you use. I prefer to do displacement in the model app and do pre-displacement. THea handles 100k's of polys much easier than when they are displaced
[/quote]

hello again
in my opinion displacement in thea can be better than now. i tested displacement in octane and There is a lot of difference.
Nabi Sarvi.

my thea render gallery: https://goo.gl/NVhKgE
leminilab
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:20 pm

littleche wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:44 pm
2 more request ;)

3.jpg

4.jpg
Absolutely!
Your number 4 is even bolder than the wireframe procedural I'm asking for but it surely is more innovative. :thumbup:

I'm not sure what to expect from Thea right now... :eh:

I've been using it for 10 years and have felt like it was avant-garde and sturdy which is amazing.
Right now, I only think about it as sturdy. The Sketchup + Thea combo never crashes! :clap:

That being said, the general lack of communication is a U-turn from the first 8 years. :think:
It's not great but I guess you just have to keep the faith! :angel:
Live every day as if it were your last and then some day you'll be right.
greg@nwchairs.com
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0

Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:38 pm

Quick keys for "copy material", "make material unique, "paste material". Would save billions and billions of mousing and clicks.
These users thanked the author greg@nwchairs.com for the post (total 3):
Hieru (Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:59 pm) • mgdacruz (Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:17 pm) • dbalex (Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:20 pm)
Rating: 12%
Rombout
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:52 am

greg@nwchairs.com wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:38 pm
Quick keys for "copy material", "make material unique, "paste material". Would save billions and billions of mousing and clicks.
Sorry but these are already present, we are talking about studio right?

SImple select mesh in viewport or model/object list and right click > material > SUB MENU (see attached screen)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 22.50.37.png
Sub menu under material has all those options already
Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 22.50.37.png (153.31 KiB) Viewed 5032 times
Rombout
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:19 am

littleche wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:54 am
Rombout wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:16 am
Im not sure what your problem is with issue 2. What are you trying to explain here, i dont really get it by looking at the image. It seem more something due to the maps and base model.

Displacement is still acting weird in some cases. Its been reported couple times and i reported it again for v2. I have not heard about a fix yet
hello Rombout. this model is standard because came from megascan company. it is so clearly! thea is feeble and slow in displacement!
I think i found just why Displacement feels slow. In studio normally "Thight bounds" is ON by default. This will take a small bit longer to start the render, but than the render will go faster. Why the difference would be that big im not sure.

I jsut remembered it by looking at the settings, than i remembered this is for faster rendering. Ive just asked Tomasz to make this ON by default because now its turned OFF by default.

Perhaps try it again with this setting ON

This is what the manual says
Tight Bounds helps to render faster, but initialization will last longer, but is more preferred to have it enabled. You also might try some subdivision in the modeling application that you use so that there are nice edge-loops. Good mesh topology is important.
These users thanked the author Rombout for the post:
Hieru (Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:13 am)
Rating: 4%