Suggestions box

Smalltalk and interesting stuff about everything else.
rogerpenna
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:42 pm

Anthony wrote:We read everything :)
well, of course, you are Lo Pan, an immortal god. You have time to do it :)

anyway, it would be nice if Studio could:

1 - import it from Sketchup automatically
2 - have a box to tick "face camera XY or face camera XYX" when selecting an object

This would be specially useful now that Thea 1.4 newest revision has the feature that needs less depth in order to render bitmaps with transparency in large quantities.
Rombout

Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:56 pm

Your correct about the textures not being in real dimension measurements, first thought you meant the dimensions of the objects. I think this somehow calls for a more dynamic link placement, seems very hard to do i think.

I believe there is/ was a function of faceme components and they being applied per camera on thea4su export. Im not sure if this still is active though
rogerpenna
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:50 am

they kept ALWAYS pointing to camera when in Studio? What if you changed camera inside Studio?
Rombout

Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:53 am

im not site but i thought i worked in earlier versions. I just tried it and they don't get updated. Perhaps I'm wrong about it.
rogerpenna
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:52 pm

I guess that's a lot less coding to do then some of the engine modifications, so I hope we can see it eventually :)
patricks
Thea Technical Artist
Thea Technical Artist

Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:00 pm

Moog wrote:I'd love an updated roadmap. This one is ancient:
http://www.thearender.com/downloads/The ... oadmap.pdf

I know it's on there, but I consider that roadmap to be so old that I'd consider it defunct. A real skin material has got to be the #1 most desired feature for me, personally. It would really open up Thea to be used with character work . . .
you mean something like this? :)
http://theapresto.com/subsurface-scattering.html

Greetings Patrick
" Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars - mere globs of gas atoms.
I too, can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more ? "

Richard P. Feynman
Moog
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:23 pm

patricks wrote:
Moog wrote:I'd love an updated roadmap. This one is ancient:
http://www.thearender.com/downloads/The ... oadmap.pdf

I know it's on there, but I consider that roadmap to be so old that I'd consider it defunct. A real skin material has got to be the #1 most desired feature for me, personally. It would really open up Thea to be used with character work . . .
you mean something like this? :)
http://theapresto.com/subsurface-scattering.html

Greetings Patrick
I am aware that Thea has great SSS, but as it stands there's no way to set up a multi-layered SSS material. The problem with not having a depth aware multi-layered approach is that you either have a tan medium color, and back scatter (like through an ear) isn't red enough, or vice versa.

The example of skin shown at the link above looks good, but (as is always the case with human skin) much is due to the strength of the texture map. I did find this:
https://thearender.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 60#p111760
Solo wrote: There is an awesome thread in the beta section that I'd link but doubt you would be able to see it, Patrick was the author so maybe he will chime in.
So it would be reallllly nice if others could see the work you've done now that 1.4 is out. An example scene or at least material settings would be greatly appreciated.
gerrrg
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:20 pm

I was attempting to purchase Thea Render for SU at literally the last minute while the price was discounted, holding out for the Euro to USD valuation to drop as far as possible...but then Paypal wouldn't accept my credit card and I could not finish the transaction.

I talked to my banking institution to see if I had placed any restrictions on non-USD transactions and they said that it never showed up, which means that for whatever reason, Paypal rejected my credit card. :crazy:

Any suggestions as to what went wrong? Any possibility of switching to Amazon Payments? :wtf:
chrisseibold
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:18 am

Houdini Plugin.

Houdini currently has advanced procedural 3d capabilities and a wonderful Indie license and price point. It would be fantastic to see a Houdini plugin for Thea.
00Ghz

Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:16 pm

Req: Hey guys,

Not an actual licensed user :) . I was wondering how is the development roadmap compared to the recently announced Octane Render 3. The announced features look cool but I assume based on last year version that they will increase the price for the standalone and plugin yet again. Was considering Thea but there are some things that it doesn’t have yet and it will be nice to have.

Needed stuff:

- Live texture baking
- Split render passes, advanced per object reflection controls
- Volumetric rendering: particles, smoke, clouds, fire
- Deep pixel rendering

Return to “Corner Bar”