technical sides of photography

Smalltalk and interesting stuff about everything else.
ycarry
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tue May 19, 2009 4:30 pm

As I am only an occasional photographer, without knowledge in 'depth of field', 'objectives lens', 'aperture'... etc. In the case of non-biased rendering, to know the technical sides of photography is essential, or simply useful, or not needed at all?
I suspect 'very usefull'... :? :oops: but how and where to acquire these techniques? school? practice?
jenujacob
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue May 19, 2009 7:03 pm

http://www.digital-slr-guide.com
excellent resource to all definitions regarding cameras. ;) :D
Win10 x64 | Intel i7-3930K| GeForce GTX 680 4gb DDR | GeForce 630GT| 32Gb Ram
Nanakisan

Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:41 pm

School is always good but your best results can be attained by pure experimentation. a simple scene setup would be to take a glass ball and place it on a table and practice various patterns of lighting and angles around it will fiddling with settings. as you prgress you'll notice that your knowledge slowly increases. Experimentation is a humans best attribute i think.

I own a old Olypus OM-10 1979 film camera so i can't really go out and go nuts with practicing like that unless i had the cash. I would love to own a digital to play with tho.
also thanks JenuJacob i'll look at that resource later i think 'm gonna enjoy it. thanks for sharing.
Rafa

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:16 pm

This is a really old post, but I just found it.

The technical side of photography is a very board topic. The question is about specific configurations on the camera, but it can expand to other aspects, mainly light, shadows, mood, scale, etc. And yes, having some experience in photography does help, because unless we are trying to make an artistic look on our renders, our goal is to simulate reality.

This knowledge also depends on the type of render we are trying to achieve, architectural, interior design, product design. It is easy to throw any HDRI as an illuminant but sometimes it is not enough.

Let's take the example of product photography. You can have cenital light, lateral, low key, high key, diffuse light, hard light, etc.

On real-life interior design photography, you can add some flashes around to kill some excessive contrast on the shadows, you need to know the size of the blur on the edge of sun-casted shadows, color temperature, etc.

You have to take into account the mood you want to project on your render, mysterious, elegant, friendly, and you can achieve that knowing the technical sides of lighting for photography.

Some DOF knowledge is useful when making renders of small objects. You also can make a render look like a scale object modifying the DOF.