Twinmotion now Free until nov 2019

Smalltalk and interesting stuff about everything else.
vic123
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Been thanked: 0

Thu May 16, 2019 5:36 pm

Can Thea files or scenes be integrated into Twinmotion? It would be great to have that character movement function...By the way Unreal Engine is also free till November.
Tomasz
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Fri May 17, 2019 5:32 pm

Does this version allow full editing?
JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Fri May 17, 2019 5:33 pm

What do you mean with full editing?
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Intel i7 5820K 3.3Ghz 32Gb Ram
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb
Tomasz
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Fri May 17, 2019 7:59 pm

Can you model say a house from scratch there? I remember early videos of Twinmotion, they were showing very basic, but good looking modelling/modification tools. If it is just for presentation, then not good for me.
mrwip
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester
Has thanked: 0

Fri May 17, 2019 8:45 pm

No Tomasz, there is no geometry editing since TM v3. The videos where you've seen this are much older (v2, around 2011). Since then they switch to an editor only, like Lumion.
These users thanked the author mrwip for the post:
Tomasz (Sat May 18, 2019 7:38 am)
Rating: 4%
jenujacob
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Sat May 18, 2019 7:34 pm

Perhaps they might come out with the live sync for sketchup in November or so after the free period.
Win10 x64 | Intel i7-3930K| GeForce GTX 680 4gb DDR | GeForce 630GT| 32Gb Ram
carcar
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:17 pm

I use both Twinmotion and Lumion for a few years, im architect so both software are great companions for my profession.... When Twinmotion v2 appear was much better than Lumion (plus it run on MAC also), but then Lumion improved the engine, the quality is much better now.
Twinmotion has a better interface and the VR support is great!.

But now that Twinmotion its owned by Epic major changes are coming, like the Ray tracing support... they show some stuff with Archicad presentation on June 5th. They also stated that with the purchase of Archicad you will have access to Twinmotion.

I wonder what will be the Lumion move now....

And I also wonder what Thea will be doing with this moves....
Rombout
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:49 am

WHy should Thea do anything about these moves? They are both completely different engines, they do touch a bit of the same market.
Solo
Thea A Team
Thea A Team

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:29 pm

Rombout wrote:
WHy should Thea do anything about these moves? They are both completely different engines, they do touch a bit of the same market.
I too use Lumion, Enscape and Twinmotion, initially it was only for animations but as their quality improved and like with Lumion live sync and Enscape's full integration into SU I find I'm actually using animation/VR software more for renders than ever before as they are incredibly fast and they have pretty decent asset libraries too.

As for what Thea should do I have not clue, what can they do?
mrwip
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:50 pm

Rombout wrote:
Well, Rombout, I think that this kind of statement is a mistake (no offense).

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of Thea's users are doing archviz, or things close to that (stage lighting, landscaping, etc), so I think they really touch the same market. As Thea is not anymore on max, I doubt many graphic artist are using it, and as it's lacking many advanced features (hairs, smoke, and so on), I doubt it's used in commercial animations (advertising and such).

Archviz users don't care about engines or really technical stuff most of the time, they just needs a tool that help them see, as quickly as possible, and as easily as possible, the thing that they (or their clients) are building.

In the last, let's say, ten years, the question of the engine used was relevant. Some where making really precise things, some where quicker, etc. But, with the really imminent wave of realtime raytracing, all of these questions of engine will be obsolete (at least for all the common users). Why will anyone spend time trying to tweak an engine, do tests, etc, if there is a solution that's gives you a precise result with one click, in realtime (look at the growing presence of Enscape in a vast number of Architecture studio) ?

Honestly, I'm doing archviz with Thea since quite some time, and it's still the best solution I've seen in correlation with sketchup. But if tomorrow there is a solution that offers me realtime raytracing (lumion, enscape, twinmotion, etc..), it will be almost impossible not to switch.

So, they should definitely do something about theses moves.
These users thanked the author mrwip for the post (total 2):
saurus (Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:50 am) • carcar (Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:37 am)
Rating: 8%