Thea Studio v2.0 (again)

Smalltalk and interesting stuff about everything else.
Tomasz
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:03 am

Plugins and the product are developed in parallel. Our "old" section is responsible for plugins and the "new" is responsible for the standalone solution. I think I have written it already here in the forum - the standalone solution is a completely new product, with the new UI.
These users thanked the author Tomasz for the post (total 3):
Hieru (Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:40 pm) • man (Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:09 am) • dbalex (Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:59 am)
Rating: 12%
Frankych
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:07 am

Ok, thank you for the reply :thumbup:
Robert
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:50 pm

Thea for SU V2 is a fine product.
Possibly Altrair is waiting until 90% of the user base has graviated elsewhere or better yet they get bought out by Chaos Group?

Robert
Robert Scott
Robert Scott Residential Design
https://www.facebook.com/scottresidentialdesign
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottresid ... sign/sets/
www.scottVIZ.com

"Growing older but not growing up"
3DM
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:28 am

Topasz, thanks for at least making some effort to communicate with us. As to the pathetic communication, as a whole, there is no excuse for that. What sort of company treats their clients/supporters like this. I'm very fond of Thea Render, but supporting the owners moving forward, I honestly don't know if I will.

As others have stated, what a disappointment!

Studio was the main reason I invested in Thea back then. I'm so upset about this I could rant all day on it, but as Javadevil stated, things are dead around here and will fall on deaf ears anyway.

Can anyone recommend another standalone renderer that does have a future? Hahaha, of course there's no guarantee of that eh!
These users thanked the author 3DM for the post:
Nicola (Wed May 08, 2019 2:03 pm)
Rating: 4%
claudio
Thea Developer
Thea Developer
Has thanked: 0

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:35 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm director of development for Thea Products and solidThinking Evolve.

let me reassure you all (again) that we are actively working on the successor of TheaStudio. :thumbup:

I know a lot of time has passed by, and I am really sorry that we are taking so long.
But we can't release something that has not reached a certain level of readiness.

Let me try to explain why we are taking so long...
As you all know, Thea merged with another company, Altair. And that brought a whole new level of possibilities. Specifically Altair had it's own 3D modeler (solidThinking Evolve) that already used Thea inside, but not to the level TheaStudio did and this customer base needed.
Evolve itself was in the process of being revamped with a new user interface and new features, so we decided to take the opportunity and do the same with TheaStudio.

Of course, this kind of jobs never go easy. It's basically a rewrote from the ground up. Why taking the hassle of doing that then, you may ask?
Well, because we want to get far. We saw an opportunity, to make this a lot better, and we decided to take it, whatever the cost.

Let me restate: there's absolutely NO plan to kill this. And why would we do that? Thea is an incredible asset for Altair, we saw opportunities, to make it bigger, to make it better, to reach new customers.
The team working on the products involved is actually grown by many new people. You can already see part of what is going on through the various plugins (Thea for SketchUp in primis). Many new features, new rendering possibilities, new UI, etc.

I can only beg you pardon if we were not able to follow up with you guys better.
Someone here said "there's no excuse", and that's probably true.
But I just ask you to consider that even though we are part of a big company now, still the people writing here is the same working on the products. They are working overtime with a dedication I can only admire and that can be only of people doing this for passion, for the love of seeing their work come to life and used by other passionate like you all.

We are coming to the end of the tunnel :D, the successor of TheaStudio will see the light soon, and by "soon" I mean a couple of months. We want it to be well polished and complete.

Thank you again for your patience.
These users thanked the author claudio for the post (total 13):
Hieru (Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:13 pm) • damj (Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:08 pm) • gnuiorc (Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:08 pm) • mgdacruz (Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:49 pm) • Rosco (Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:35 pm) • panagiotis (Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:14 am) • 3DM (Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:40 am) • leminilab (Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:45 pm) • chinkel (Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:04 pm) • dbalex (Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:03 am) and 3 more users
Rating: 52%
Frankych
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:57 pm

Hi Claudio,
thank you for the confirmation that Thea Studio (whatever the new name will be) is Indeed receiving the attention it deserves.

I really wish that you and your team are on the right track to release it in the given timeframe 8-)

Cheers
Francois
These users thanked the author Frankych for the post (total 3):
Hieru (Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:13 pm) • panagiotis (Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:29 am) • 3DM (Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:39 am)
Rating: 12%
dbalex
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:08 am

Thanks for taking the time to respond on the forum, really appreciated!

Will theastudio V2 be able to make animations? Will we be able to import thea4su files?

I ask because I'm currently learning blender as SketchUp is not fit for animations, but I would prefer staying in the thea-ecosystem.

Any info would be appreciated 👌
These users thanked the author dbalex for the post:
Hieru (Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:27 pm)
claudio
Thea Developer
Thea Developer
Has thanked: 0

Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:01 pm

Animation will be supported.

Of course we cannot compete with Blender, what we'll provide will be a keyframe and path animation, to do basic stuff.
Essentially what was already present in Thea Studio 1.5, with UI enhancements and new features.

Thanks,
-Claudio
These users thanked the author claudio for the post:
dbalex (Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:05 pm)
chinkel
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Been thanked: 0

Fri May 03, 2019 11:29 pm

Yes, thank you for the update and your team's work on this, Claudio! We'll be looking forward to it.

Regarding animation, it would be great if the new Studio supported animated video or image sequence textures. That's just my 2 cents :D

Best,
Clark
Rombout
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Sat May 04, 2019 1:49 am

chinkel wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:29 pm
Yes, thank you for the update and your team's work on this, Claudio! We'll be looking forward to it.

Regarding animation, it would be great if the new Studio supported animated video or image sequence textures. That's just my 2 cents :D

Best,
Clark
That could actually be done if the exporters where ready. Blender4Thea already had it for v1.5
Here's a quick example i made for that couple weeks back. The background is after effects, the fake caustics is done by using a projector lamp with an animation water bump. I actually added animated textures to projector lamp, it was missing so i implemented it :)
Attachments
Fishy-Caustics4-AE.mp4
(3.64 MiB) Downloaded 30 times
These users thanked the author Rombout for the post (total 2):
gnuiorc (Sat May 04, 2019 3:10 am) • chinkel (Mon May 06, 2019 3:52 pm)
Rating: 8%