Minimizing Post Processing

Get feedback on your current artwork.
pooya.pnd
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:40 pm

Hello everyone,

Below I've attached 2 Furniture exhibition educational renders which I'm currently working on. My goal is to minimize the post processing as much as possible so I've been playing around with the details to achieve this goal but currently it's still to far away from what I'm looking for.

The darker image is the raw rendered image using Presto MC on a Ryzen 3700X and RTX 2070S and the brighter one is the same imaged I post processed in PS. I'm trying to achieve the second version (or get as close as possible) within the rendering engine. So please help me figure out the details I'm missing. :crazy:
Color 4.jpg
Color 4 Done 2.jpg
pooya.pnd
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:58 pm

First off, the Images I attach in this comment, are real images of the exhibition itself.

I wonder why the sofa materials appear so flat although I've got strong IES lights pointing from the ceiling (no other lights in the scene but the ceiling lights), I mean logically as I've highlighted the upper edges and upward facing faces of the sofas in PS, they should appear brighter in the image themselves as they have direct lighting! but as you can see in the gray chair in the foreground, the shade of the grays are almost the same in all faces of the chair even the faces facing to the ground.
Untitled.png
Secondly, how should I create realistic fabric effects like the images below? I tried adding Fresnel maps to diffuse for the fabrics specially the velvets, but as you can see seem off. I wanted a whitish touch on the fabrics specially velvets from sharp angles but as you see below the white reflection is appearing in way wider angels, though it looks perfectly fine in the material editor. I've attached the setting for the velvet material below.
test.jpg
Finally, considering the real image, what do you suggest for the lighting of the scene? I've used 12 IES lights in the ceiling with random angles and Multiplier set to 3.
nigec
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:18 pm

are you using V1.5?/Studio?
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
My Gallery
pooya.pnd
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:25 pm

I myself have only the license for Studio version 1.5 and I've created the materials all in studio at first, but the model is in C4D and I'm using my professor's machine to work on it and it has Thea V2.2 plugin.
man
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:42 pm

I believe we had multi light in thea render, but this was in the time of the dinosaurs. Until its implemented again. We are stuck with photoshop
pooya.pnd
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:39 pm

man wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:42 pm
I believe we had multi light in thea render, but this was in the time of the dinosaurs. Until its implemented again. We are stuck with photoshop
What do you mean by multi light? What was its function?
pooya.pnd
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Sun May 03, 2020 11:14 am

So there are literally no answers to this question?
dbalex
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Sun May 03, 2020 1:02 pm

Doesn't it work just by adjusting contrast in darkroom? Seems like more brightness and higher contrast could resolve this
pooya.pnd
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Sun May 03, 2020 2:58 pm

dbalex wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:02 pm
Doesn't it work just by adjusting contrast in darkroom? Seems like more brightness and higher contrast could resolve this
It helps but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. I'm mostly looking to add this whitish shade when you look at a fabric from sharp angles.
dbalex
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Tue May 05, 2020 6:08 am

Ok I just understand now you want to have fresnel ramp on your material and it's not the postpro on the image you want to resolve.

pooya.pnd wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:25 pm
I myself have only the license for Studio version 1.5 and I've created the materials all in studio at first, but the model is in C4D and I'm using my professor's machine to work on it and it has Thea V2.2 plugin.

If I remember correctly, the fresnel option has been removed in 2.0 and replaced by a procedural. Try to render in 1.5 and see if it works better, otherwise you will have to make your fresnel materials in 2.2.

Return to “Work in Progress”