Fictional 18,000 capacity stadium for SR Brașov (Romania)

Final renders, ready to show off.
Liverpudlian82

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:23 pm

Edit, here is the night shot as requested:

SketchUp + Thea Render 1.5

360° tour: https://roundme.com/tour/326785/view/1080182/

Feedback appreciated! :)
Last edited by Liverpudlian82 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Liverpudlian82 for the post (total 4):
dbalex (Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:10 pm) • c3dx (Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:52 pm) • RedSquare (Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:20 pm) • duanekemp (Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:32 pm)
Rating: 16%
dbalex
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:21 pm

Great tour! Very good model, it's very detailed and well modelled!

My 2cents:

1. I would put a bit more effort in the materials. It's a bit too simple/basic materials for the moment. Some texture on the concrete, a bit reflection on the seats,... this would add a whole new dimension to your renders.

2. add a HDRI/Sky. For now it's just a basic blue sky and this is a pitty because a HDRi adds a great level of realism with almost no effort. Go check on https://hdrihaven.com/hdris/category/?c=outdoor They are free and very high quality.

3. make better still images to present on the forum: the tour itself is way better then your still image displayed on the forum (not a very good composition in the image displyed on the forum)
These users thanked the author dbalex for the post:
duanekemp (Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:32 pm)
Rating: 4%
Liverpudlian82

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:53 pm

dbalex wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:21 pm
Great tour! Very good model, it's very detailed and well modelled!

My 2cents:

1. I would put a bit more effort in the materials. It's a bit too simple/basic materials for the moment. Some texture on the concrete, a bit reflection on the seats,... this would add a whole new dimension to your renders.

2. add a HDRI/Sky. For now it's just a basic blue sky and this is a pitty because a HDRi adds a great level of realism with almost no effort. Go check on https://hdrihaven.com/hdris/category/?c=outdoor They are free and very high quality.

3. make better still images to present on the forum: the tour itself is way better then your still image displayed on the forum (not a very good composition in the image displyed on the forum)
Thanks for the feedback!

Concrete textures will definitely be done better next time ... I think I have to put them in in SketchUp rather than transform a plain material into textured concrete in Thea, which produced some unexpected results.

Regarding the HDRI skys: I would only want to have the sky showing in the render but not whatever is shown on the ground, so I guess I have to model some "cage" around my stadium first that covers the unwanted stuff in the HRDI image. But I'll definitely try that!

Composition is indeed something I have not really put too much effort in yet. Any idea how it could be improved for a stadium interior? There is no obvious focal point for me that can be put into focus ...
dbalex
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:52 pm

For the hdri, just take one with almost nothing on the horizon like this one for example:
https://hdrihaven.com/hdri/?c=outdoor&h ... n_6d_clear

But I wouldn't worry too much as your stadium will fill the horizon by itself.

For the composition, for something as big I prefer the flat compositions like this one:
Image 247.jpg
These users thanked the author dbalex for the post:
Liverpudlian82 (Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:52 pm)
Rombout
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:30 pm

NIce scene, must have been a lot of work. Your pitch looks great! is that instanced? if so, how you coup with the white striping or chalk
Liverpudlian82

Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:27 pm

dbalex wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:52 pm
For the hdri, just take one with almost nothing on the horizon like this one for example:
https://hdrihaven.com/hdri/?c=outdoor&h ... n_6d_clear

But I wouldn't worry too much as your stadium will fill the horizon by itself.

For the composition, for something as big I prefer the flat compositions like this one:
Image 247.jpg
Once again, thanks for the feedback. I think I need to put more focus on lighting/mood and camera angles in general in the early stages of my stadium projects. Now at the end I find it a bit hard to produce satisfying results ...
Rombout wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:30 pm
NIce scene, must have been a lot of work. Your pitch looks great! is that instanced? if so, how you coup with the white striping or chalk
Thanks!

No, it's not instanced, just textures I made with Photoshop and a "noise" bump map. I'm glad that you singled it out for praise, as I am constantly frustrated by the look of my pitch :) Especially when I compare it what a fellow stadium designer can do in Blender ...

Maybe I don't need to me too hard on myself then ...
Rombout
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:54 am

Well there is a Thea addon for Blender ;) So you can use it that if you wont to.
Plus side with textures is that it will render instantly, a scene with millions of poly's does take a bit longer. Especially if you using either Sketchup of Blender and using either instance of hair particles.
These users thanked the author Rombout for the post:
Liverpudlian82 (Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:56 pm)
RedSquare
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:30 pm

Agree with everything mentioned above. Regarding the sky HDRi, Don't forget the Sky series; there is no ground included just the sky.

I can't resist asking, are the floodlights usable ? Could you do a night version ? :ugeek: With perhaps a touch of very slight mist. :P

Re: the sky; Something similar to this. But an HDRi and spherical.
***I have to model some "cage" around my stadium first that covers the unwanted stuff in the HRDI image. But I'll definitely try that!***

Unless I'm getting my renderers mixed up , Just load your HDRi into the sky slot under Environment and it is projected/mounted onto the sky dome. There should be no reason or need to model a cage around your stadium.
Attachments
Cloudy11.jpg
These users thanked the author RedSquare for the post:
Liverpudlian82 (Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:56 pm)
gnuiorc
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:23 pm

I like it really a lot.

I have to find my stadium that I modeled 10 years ago and rendered in Maxwell Render... and re-render it with Thea :D

Ciao,
Gio
These users thanked the author gnuiorc for the post (total 2):
Liverpudlian82 (Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:56 pm) • duanekemp (Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:33 pm)
Rating: 8%
Liverpudlian82

Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:56 pm

RedSquare wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:30 pm
Agree with everything mentioned above. Regarding the sky HDRi, Don't forget the Sky series; there is no ground included just the sky.

I can't resist asking, are the floodlights usable ? Could you do a night version ? :ugeek: With perhaps a touch of very slight mist. :P

Re: the sky; Something similar to this. But an HDRi and spherical.
***I have to model some "cage" around my stadium first that covers the unwanted stuff in the HRDI image. But I'll definitely try that!***

Unless I'm getting my renderers mixed up , Just load your HDRi into the sky slot under Environment and it is projected/mounted onto the sky dome. There should be no reason or need to model a cage around your stadium.
Thanks for your feedback and advice. The "sky only" series will be given a try :)

As for the floodlights: it's possible, yes. I've done that before (albeit with some help of invisible light emitting planes in Thea and some fake Photoshop lense flare effects). The thing is that story-wise an empty stadium with floodlights on makes little sense. I'd need a crowd, and players, and photographers, and cameras, and LED-boards, and stewards, and maybe some littering on the pitch etc etc etc and I don't know how to model all of that or how to use photoshop to that degree :)

When I do my stadium projects I'm also first and foremost interested in creating functional and asthetical stadium "bowls", e. g. effecient use of escape ways, correct sightlines, no obstructed views due to railings, putting in enough wheelchair user positions etc. I suck at doing facades and interiors.

Though what I learnt from this project is how to use the merge feature in Thea studio. So I am open to collaboration with someone who'd model a private box or lounge or a fancy facade and merge it to my stadium model :)