[REQ] Preview Textures on Material Editor/Editing texture colors

Everything related to Altair Inspire Render beta

Moderator: claudio

JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:50 pm

I'd like to have an easy way to zoom in this textures. Maybe I'd like to have a texture preview window that we could easily access and that zoomed in a lot.

Even editing texture colors has a small preview.

The solution could be an easier to access texture color edition window, with a configurable size, where the user would drag the texture editing window to the size he wanted and from then on it would remember that size.

Then if texture edition window would be easier to access (like a double click on the icon) we could see the zoomed in texture really fast and editing it even faster. Now its point and click on the minus icon and then point and click on the option in the menu which implies accurate clicking and then reading and clicking.

Capturar.JPG
These users thanked the author JQL for the post:
duanekemp (Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:49 pm)
Rating: 4%
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Intel i7 5820K 3.3Ghz 32Gb Ram
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb
claudio
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:02 pm

Yes, that is something we went through a couple of iterations.....
On one hand we want to save space and make the panels as small as possible
...on the other hand we would like to make the textures more visible....

The little down arrow (weird it shows up as a minus in your screen) was added for discoverability.
We come from an implementation where there was right-click here, left-click there, mouse-hover, icons on the texture for direct access to tone edit, and so on.
But then, we had very little discoverability (nobody would never guess all the shortcuts) and the texture was covered in icons....

It's not settled, we are still exploring new ways and any help from you is welcome.
Please if anybody want to make proposals (maybe with some quick mock up), we could also do a poll in the forum.

Thanks,
-Claudio
These users thanked the author claudio for the post:
JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:39 pm

I will do a mockup. Just not tonight...
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb
Rombout
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:13 am

The texture panel should not be a separate panel because this makes to much clicking. Now we need to open and close panels all the time. Thats really adding up when doing materials.

Also since Beta 3 i dont see anything in the Texture Properties with some models. Where before i would see properties. I added Chair_PK to test and in Beta 2 i did see properties. With my own scene i also get the properties, but not anymore with this model.

See example

EDIT
I found the issue perhaps. The panel does show is texture if i click the plus sign between the diffuse color and the texture. This activated the additive mode, i then turn it off again. After that the texture does show. All models from the assets show this behavior now. Not sure if this because of the update. I simply moved the asset folder from beta 2 to beta 3 folder. There wasnt a proper guide on how to do this, but it didnt seem like rocket science. It seems like it doesnt understand the links or so.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 00.08.43.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 00.08.21.png
These users thanked the author Rombout for the post:
JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:22 am

Rombout wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:13 am
The texture panel should not be a separate panel because this makes to much clicking. Now we need to open and close panels all the time. Thats really adding up when doing materials.

Also since Beta 3 i dont see anything in the Texture Properties with some models. Where before i would see properties. I added Chair_PK to test and in Beta 2 i did see properties. With my own scene i also get the properties, but not anymore with this model.

See example

EDIT
I found the issue perhaps. The panel does show is texture if i click the plus sign between the diffuse color and the texture. This activated the additive mode, i then turn it off again. After that the texture does show. All models from the assets show this behavior now. Not sure if this because of the update. I simply moved the asset folder from beta 2 to beta 3 folder. There wasnt a proper guide on how to do this, but it didnt seem like rocket science. It seems like it doesnt understand the links or so.
I don't see how this is related to the the initial post. You probably posted on the wrong topic...
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb
claudio
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:01 pm

JQL wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:22 am
I don't see how this is related to the the initial post. You probably posted on the wrong topic...
About the original post, we experimented a bit: now (next beta) we added some shortcuts to do not require the use of the menu:
  • Shift+Click to remove the texture
  • Alt+Click to directly bring up the texture edit\
Also, we made the menu button slightly bigger
SandroS
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:01 pm

claudio wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:02 pm
It's not settled, we are still exploring new ways and any help from you is welcome.
Please if anybody want to make proposals (maybe with some quick mock up), we could also do a poll in the forum.
here's mine. obviously this is Studio 1.5 colours and 'trim', but it's the layout that is important, not the colours.

there is as much as possible to hand, so clicking is minimised. on a single layout there is direct access to:

scene materials with preview - easy drag and drop
libraries (materials, models, environments etc) - again, easy drag and drop and easily swap materials to and from scene/libraries
texture coordinates (independent for material and/or object
material lab - showing clear preview of material and texture, with all parameters accessible and dragable (are Altair render values dragable or is it click in box and type value?)

most other scene critical elements are a tab away and once the tab is activated it stays open for further editing.

i will happily sacrifice IR render space for functionality. full screen renders are for final renders, not for scene prep. the latter needs only a lower quality preview for speed. prepare any reasonably complex interior and you will see why this is important.
TheaUI2.png
These users thanked the author SandroS for the post (total 3):
duanekemp (Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:49 pm) • dbalex (Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:39 am) • Pixero (Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:49 am)
Rating: 12%
JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:00 pm

What I miss from original studio is the second Matlab. It was very handy to compare materials and drag and drop textures between them.

I agree, IR doesn't need much space, lall tools visible avoids clicking to try and open hidden stuff that we need all the time
Pixero (Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:50 am)
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb
Javadevil
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:21 pm

@SandroS it's looking a lot like Maverick :D
nigec
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:21 am

I think if you look at any review for Thea everyone liked its MatLab , the saving grace with the previous plugins was it was always an option if the plugins system fell short.
The MatLab concept was never broken so why fix it or go backwards
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
Most Recent Batch Creator