Poll: Which engine are you using?

A forum especially for contests and Hall of Fame.

Which engine do you use most of the time?

Adaptive (BSD)
10%
Unbiased (TR1)
15%
Unbiased (TR2)
7%
Presto (AO)
30%
Presto (MC)
36%
Adaptive (AMC)
3%

Total votes: 344
Solo
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:56 pm

Great solution, wished it worked with Presto MC however
SandroS
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:23 pm

Hieru wrote:That's awesome of you Sandros - very much appreciated :thumbup:

I'd all but given up on rendering steam and now I can see exactly where I was going wrong.
you're welcome Hieru. just don't expect it to render too quickly :shh:
Solo wrote:Great solution, wished it worked with Presto MC however
yeah, i hope Giannis finds a way to get procedurals into Presto soon - they're critical to so many aspects of material making.
Solo
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:34 pm

We going off topic, so lets continue this discussion here: http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtop ... 62#p139662

I think I found a way to use this method with Presto MC.
onrender
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:53 pm

The current stage of the poll actually does not reflect the potential of the software. I always vote to BSD because it is quick and clear.. although current presets are on very high than it should be for the optional results I would make BSD a GPU version and introduce a first 20 sec Presto style quick view for the inpatient render gurus.
The reason why people like Presto is the quick dotted style preview although nobody talk about the noise on the blurred surfaces which takes twice of BSD time to finish.

One of the thing to test render engines would be to introduce more complex real scenes that customers deal with such as really complex contemporary interior that does sweating hardwares easily. :wtf: :thumbup:

There are too many engines right now I would also mention, divide into two scientific TR1, TR2) and general use. AO should be one separate option for all engines with options depends on the selected render engine.

People who works in the design industry actually do not bother the accuracy of the light neither the materials but the effect of the visual perception not to mention colour blind customers :wave: The most important thing is the visual illusion of the real and deep, natural shadow-contrast and shine.

What about Pantone colours or RAL into the colour palette?
Rhino 5, Moi 3D, Thearender, Motiva Colimo, Corel Paint Shop Pro - Intel i7 4770, 8GB RAM, NVidia 750Ti.
jiminy-billy-bob
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:13 pm

onrender wrote:The reason why people like Presto is the quick dotted style preview although nobody talk about the noise on the blurred surfaces which takes twice of BSD time to finish.
True, I just finished the below image. HDRI, lots of emmiters, complex reflections, etc... It was noisy as hell with Presto and TR2 even after a few hours. (Not to mention reflections with presto were looking really weird)
So this is the first time I really used BSD in production, it was way faster than the others in that particular case, to get a noise-free image.
If I could re-vote, I'd probably check BSD as well, as it has been very usefull to me for that project.

Hieru
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:58 am

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:It was noisy as hell with Presto and TR2 even after a few hours.
Even with Presto AO? I'd find that really surprising if that were the case.
jiminy-billy-bob
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:33 pm

Yes even with PrestoAO.

This is really the first time I had Presto struggle so much.
Pixero
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:52 pm

A bit off topic maybe, but can someone show what settings they use with Adaptive BSD?
My pre calculation times are always very long. Much longer than they were in the older version.
jiminy-billy-bob
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:13 pm

For the above image, I used "01. Exterior Basic".
3DCGdesign
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:35 pm

My workflow: (If there were sun/pool caustics with Presto, it would save me a lot of time/effort)
I render houses with pools.
I need great sun pool/sun caustics.
I need displacement for my stone walls and brick walls in my images.
I need high quality as fast as possible.
I use front texture mapping for my background house image because mostly I render pools in front of existing houses.

I use Presto AO for my initial render.
Then I use region render to get my pool/sun caustics with TR1... allowing me to get best results fastest.
Then, I have a special very high quality preset that renders very fast (ignores reflections/lights) to render my depth, alpha, and Material ID mask passes, save them and use all those images to combine into a single great-looking image.

TR2 for me is best-looking, but there's just no sense in waiting for that, when my clients are thrilled with Presto renderings.