Poll: Which engine are you using?

A forum especially for contests and Hall of Fame.

Which engine do you use most of the time?

Adaptive (BSD)
10%
Unbiased (TR1)
15%
Unbiased (TR2)
7%
Presto (AO)
30%
Presto (MC)
36%
Adaptive (AMC)
3%

Total votes: 344
JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:30 pm

Mohammad Nael wrote: Presto must have a post production option "Reduce noise" filter even if this is just a filter but it will solve a lot of troubles.
Regards
I'd rather see a filter like this working as things are being calculated, I don't know how frequent it would work, but if you are waiting for the fiter to work only when the render is finished you might be waiting too long as I imagine it might clear faster and more acuratelly ig it would be filtering in passes.

EDIT - It would also be nice if we could define materials or areas of a model where to filter more than others as filters will take away accuracy
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Intel i7 5820K 3.3Ghz 32Gb Ram
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb
Pixero
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:34 pm

JQL wrote: I'd rather see a filter like this working as things are being calculated, I don't know how frequent it would work, but if you are waiting for the fiter to work only when the render is finished you might be waiting too long as I imagine it might clear faster and more acuratelly ig it would be filtering in passes.
+1 for smart in process noise reduction
Sergio_Pontes
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:51 pm

I'd like to see a option where we can use Presto and BSD in the same time, like one engine for the first bounce and another for the second bounce, like Vray or fRender.
Other option I dream, a "interpolation" option for Presto engine for reduction of the rendertime and reduction of the noise.
Mohammad Nael

Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:19 pm

JQL wrote:

EDIT - It would also be nice if we could define materials or areas of a model where to filter more than others as filters will take away accuracy
+1
But nowadays filters are very sophisticated algorithm, I am not speaking about low filters. for ex I have a camera app for my IPhone that had a brilliant filter for noise reduction, so sophisticated filters are most welcome if they will reduce noise in such a way and here is the differences.
Edit:
I call it a Filter someone may call it Noise Reduction Algorithm. but what so ever it is handy
Filter.jpg
Hieru
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:23 pm

JQL wrote:EDIT - It would also be nice if we could define materials or areas of a model where to filter more than others as filters will take away accuracy
+1.

Maybe this could be done in the same way you can set the Tracing Depth for individual materials?
Mohammad Nael

Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:34 pm

Hieru wrote:
JQL wrote:EDIT - It would also be nice if we could define materials or areas of a model where to filter more than others as filters will take away accuracy
+1.

Maybe this could be done in the same way you can set the Tracing Depth for individual materials?
No, because Thea has a professional Extension Depth that you may lower the main depth and keep Extra Depth for transparent/SS/clip high @ 15 by default.
The question is that, Can we give some materials more sampling importance, I sometimes do a region for some places!!!!
Hieru
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:04 pm

I wasn't talking about using Tracing Depth to resolve noise.

What I meant is that there could be a similar interface for noise reduction. The idea would be that a new setting is made available for individual materials: where you tick a box or pick a value for extra passes to be applied to a problematic material.

Does that make sense?
Mohammad Nael

Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:24 pm

Hieru wrote:I wasn't talking about using Tracing Depth to resolve noise.

What I meant is that there could be a similar interface for noise reduction. The idea would be that a new setting is made available for individual materials: where you tick a box or pick a value for extra passes to be applied to a problematic material.

Does that make sense?
+1
Sure it makes sense, but can developers apply this, :think: :think: I thinks it is hard, I remember I had a talk with Giannis about this. but any way it is good for users that why to go 1500 Sp for just the sake of a some noisy objects.
JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:32 pm

Mohammad Nael wrote: but any way it is good for users that why to go 1500 Sp for just the sake of a some noisy objects.
That's always the issue, we have to wait so long to clear a 4000px render just because of a 500px corner.

3500px are fine at 512sp but Thea keeps wasting time and resources processing those pixels until we have to reach 1500sp or, sometimes, even more just because of 500px.

In those cases a filter on that corner would be good, but also a combination of region render. Sometimes a translucent material is the culprit and those times we could filter it in the image, but some times that is the material that is creating noise but the noise is in a wall. So Thea would either have to focus on areas of material, or areas of the model under the influence of that material.

Another thing is difficult indirect lit corners. Those might not be under the influence of a specific material but they are far away from indirect light sources. The probability of shooting those faces is so low that they don't clear. If there could be an algorythm or even a manual way of increasing this probability it would be great.
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Intel i7 5820K 3.3Ghz 32Gb Ram
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb
Bob James
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:46 pm

It would also be nice if we could define materials or areas of a model where to filter more than others as filters will take away accuracy
+1
I recently did a large (12"x18", 600dpi) 1-hour render and had to go an extra hour to clean up just a relatively small area. No big deal, but it would have been nice to just clean up the indirectly lit area.
i7-6800K 3.4Ghz, GTX 1080ti 11GB, 32GB Crucial DDR4-2400 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 1TB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x Dell 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro
Never underestimate the intelligence of your audience nor overestimate your own - Bob James