You can mix layers vertically by adjusting the Layer Weight for each layer.
Keep in mind that the layer weight influences a material from top to bottom. This means that if the topmost layer has a weight of 100%, then any layer underneath it will not be considered by the engine.
We have created two layers. Layer A has a weight of 25% while Layer B has a weight of 100%. The stacking order plays a significant role.
Layer A on top of Layer B
The final material will use 25% of Layer A and the rest of the weight (75%) for Layer B.
Layer B on top of Layer A
The final material will use 100% of Layer B.
Note: The layer positioned at the bottom of the layering scheme always has a layer weight of 100%.
Tip: When you switch between different layer types, any assigned texture, color, or value will carry over to the selected type.
For each layer in the Layering Scheme, you can define the weight (%) of the selected layer with respect to the other layers.
All layer weights are normalized according to their sum, so that each layer’s reflectance is modified by a relative percentage. Without any weights, layers are again normalized to reflect with the same weights.
The weight of the coating layer actually modifies the percentage of light that is allowed to reach the layers underneath.
To adjust a layer’s weight, drag left or right to increase or decrease the value.
You can also load a texture that will be used as a mask for the rest of the layers, which is helpful for creating advanced materials.