Thea Render - Forum

Last visit was: It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:19 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Faster Unbiased Engine (TR1)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:28 pm 
Thea Developer

We are very happy to announce the (vast) improvement of TR1 unbiased engine. As you may already know, TR1 is the
engine of choice for exteriors and scenes where direct lighting is dominant. Nevertheless, it also responds nicely in
relatively difficult indirect lighting cases.

In the previous weeks, we worked hard to make TR1 even more powerful for indirect lighting cases. The result of our
deep research, testing and development is the evolution of TR1 (codenamed "TR1+" in our interior builds) into a method
that manages extremely well under indirect lighting conditions, while keeping 100% its power in exteriors and direct
lighting. Surely, there is no "holy grail" unbiased engine (i.e. an engine that delivers best performance in all kinds of
scenes), but the improved TR1 is as close as possible to this definition. :)

Getting more technical on this, "TR1+" is able to handle much better dark areas in your renders, that "traditionally" take
more time to resolve. This way, it delivers a more balanced noise and an image that overall converges faster. For
exteriors and dominant direct lighting scenes the performance is the same as before, but in more difficult cases, like
interiors lit by sun-sky, TR1+ is a clear winner. We estimate that the efficiency improvement of TR1 can be up to 70%!
For extremely difficult cases, like rooms lit by caustic lighting, or heavy indirect caustics, TR2 should still be the method
of choice, though.

We are really happy and proud for this achievement, something, we believe, that makes Thea unbiased core the most
sophisticated around. Below, we give some test cases that show Thea unbiased core strength. For comparison
purposes, we use the codename "TR1+" for the enhanced version, but in the forthcoming public revision TR1+ will
replace TR1.

Church Interior: Designed and Rendered by Tomasz Marek

We can see below a church interior; the difficulty here is that there is a huge dynamic range in the image, with areas of
strong incident lighting and other very dark areas. TR1+ is the clear winner here, delivering the most balanced image -
noise wise - for the human eye. Note: images are cycled every 4 seconds to see better the difference.
Attachment:
File comment: Animated gif showing renders of TR2, TR1 and TR1+. Scene modeled and rendered by Tomasz Marek.
Interior_by_TomaszMarek_10m_DualCore.gif
Interior_by_TomaszMarek_10m_DualCore.gif [ 503.52 KiB | Viewed 5879 times ]

Natural History Museum: Modeled by Alvaro Luna Bautista and Joel Andersdon

A relatively heavy scene, lit by sun-sky. Not an easy thing, and there are a lot of dark areas - difficult for sun/sky light
to reach. The enhancement of TR1+ versus TR1 is shown clearly in the image below. Note: images are cycled every 4
seconds to see better the difference.
Attachment:
File comment: Animated gif showing renders of TR1 and TR1+. Scene modeled by Alvaro Luna Bautista and Joel Andersdon.
NaturalHistoryMuseum_by_AlvaroLunaBautista_JoelAndersdon_15m_1Thread_i5_2.66Ghz.gif
NaturalHistoryMuseum_by_AlvaroLunaBautista_JoelAndersdon_15m_1Thread_i5_2.66Ghz.gif [ 495.02 KiB | Viewed 5879 times ]

Kitchen Interior: Rendered by Pete Stoppel

Another typical interior lit by sun-sky. Again, TR1+ boost is clearly visible. Note: images are cycled every 4 seconds to
see better the difference.
Attachment:
File comment: Animated gif showing renders of TR1 and TR1+. Scene rendered by Pete Stoppel.
Interior_by_PeteStoppel_18m_i7.gif
Interior_by_PeteStoppel_18m_i7.gif [ 505.84 KiB | Viewed 5879 times ]

Indirect Lighting Scene: Modeled by Claudio Pilustrelli

Here is a difficult indirect lighting test scene. In this scene, there are 2 rooms and we can only see the right room, from
the top, which is open. An emitter is present in the left room, which is blocked by a larger occluder. Light has to bounce
back and find its way through the small holes on the floor to reach the right room. Comparisons with other unbiased
renderers, show full superiority of Thea TR1 (note that TR2 is able to render this case even faster)!
Attachment:
File comment: Indirect lighting setup by Claudio Pilustrelli. Area emitter is blocked, while lighting goes in next room from the small holes on the floor. Rendered by TR1+ for 10 min, on single thread of dual-core 1.66Ghz.
IndirectLightTest_by_ClaudioPilustrelli_TR1+_10m_1Thread_DualCore1.66Ghz.jpg
IndirectLightTest_by_ClaudioPilustrelli_TR1+_10m_1Thread_DualCore1.66Ghz.jpg [ 131.67 KiB | Viewed 5879 times ]

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Faster Unbiased Engine (TR1)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:38 pm 
Thea Licensed User

bravo G!!! this is great news!! TR1 is always my preferred render choice (since i mainly do exteriors)!! this will help up the notch a whole lot more!!! Thank you!!!!!! :D

since we are on the topic of TR1 .. can the sun disc now be rendered using this improved version?? :roll:

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:58 pm 
Thea Licensed User

WoW! :shock:

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:03 pm 

Theses are good news. Impatient to try :) good job.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:05 pm 
Thea Licensed User

Noticing the TR1+ is lighter in interior settings, would the original TR1 expect to achieve this same level of brightness if allowed to cook for a longer time? Being unbiased, its my understanding they would both eventually converge to the same level.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:21 pm 
Thea Licensed User

Great job guys, you are great! :P :P

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:21 pm 
Thea Technical Artist

PolyTect wrote:
Noticing the TR1+ is lighter in interior settings, would the original TR1 expect to achieve this same level of brightness if allowed to cook for a longer time? Being unbiased, its my understanding they would both eventually converge to the same level.

yes ... both converge to the same result ... giving TR1 more time, it will reach the same brightness and final result like TR1+.

Greetings Patrick

Richard P. Feynman

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:37 pm 
Thea Developer

patricks wrote:
PolyTect wrote:

yes ... both converge to the same result ... giving TR1 more time, it will reach the same brightness and final result like TR1+.

Greetings Patrick

Exactly!

In the very first image (Tomasz' church model), you can see for example big differences between TR2 and TR1, but the results are at the end the same. Sun disc is still not rendered, whenever we add sun disc rendering it will be a separate tech post. ;)

best wishes

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:51 pm 

So, how to touch this?

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:54 pm 
Thea Licensed User

Wow! this was really unexpected ...congrats! when do you foresee it will be released...perhaps a Christmas present? :mrgreen:

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next