Poll: Which engine are you using?

A forum especially for contests and Hall of Fame.

Which engine do you use most of the time?

Adaptive (BSD)
10%
Unbiased (TR1)
15%
Unbiased (TR2)
7%
Presto (AO)
30%
Presto (MC)
36%
Adaptive (AMC)
2%

Total votes : 341

by JQL » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:18 am

Hieru wrote:Aside from it being such a great engine, I think most people have adapted so well to Presto because they either upgraded or replaced their hardware in anticipation of what Presto (or GPU rendering in general) could achieve.

Agreed! Presto was decisive to make me buy a Titan X and my workflow as improved 10 times because of it. Though the Titan allows me for much more than rendering as all software is GPU accelerated this days.

Image editors use it, texture generators also depend on it, Sketchup suddenly allows me to model 500Mb models and Layout is a breezing app after all.

So the future is GPU and Presto is where it shines.

2 years of love made it a great thing Giannis, please do make it perfect! We are talking about making it on pair with TR2 here, but I believe your ambition should be to surpass it and beat down every competitor on the GPU and CPU market.

"Let's be realistic and demand the impossible!"

;)
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Intel i7 5820K 3.3Ghz 32Gb Ram
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb
JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

by jiminy-billy-bob » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:00 pm

How about something similar to Vray's Adaptive DMC, which throws more samples to pixels having high-contrast with their neighbors?
Or maybe that's how Adaptive AMC or BSD work?
jiminy-billy-bob
Thea Licensed User
Thea Licensed User

by giannis » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:28 pm

Hieru wrote:It also helps that there was little to no learning curve when it came to the differences between using Presto and TR1/TR2 :thumbup: .

I believe that engines with many parameters (to adjust the engine itself) will have trouble surviving the next years. This is the skepticism I have now behind Adaptive BSD and actually for any approach that utilizes caches / maps / other techniques that need trial and error in many cases to adjust properly.

Greetings
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

by JQL » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:40 pm

giannis wrote:
Hieru wrote:It also helps that there was little to no learning curve when it came to the differences between using Presto and TR1/TR2 :thumbup: .

I believe that engines with many parameters (to adjust the engine itself) will have trouble surviving the next years. This is the skepticism I have now behind Adaptive BSD and actually for any approach that utilizes caches / maps / other techniques that need trial and error in many cases to adjust properly.

Greetings

I think you're right. There's no way seting up a still render for 4hrs, compensates a 3hrs render if you can hit a button and wait overnight for the same or even better result. Human labour is what is hard to come by, let machines cook.

However, if we're talking about animations that might not be the same line of thought... I don't believe animations are the core of Thea's users businesses, but things don't stop evolving and animations shouldn't be neglected in the long run.

Do you think it will be possible for Thea to have an unbiased engine as fast as a biased one?
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Intel i7 5820K 3.3Ghz 32Gb Ram
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb
JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

by nigec » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:08 pm

Have you tried Renderman? Its mind numbing slow but Pixar use it, they just have sh*t loads of machines
nigec
Thea Licensed User
Thea Licensed User

by grzybu » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:29 pm

I remember writing shaders for Renderman years ago ;) Lot's of fun and it was the only solution in time with micro displacement.
But it was long time ago in galaxy far, far away and render engines world has changed a lot since then.
grzybu
Thea Plugin Developer
Thea Plugin Developer

by nigec » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:46 pm

grzybu wrote:I remember writing shaders for Renderman years ago ;) Lot's of fun and it was the only solution in time with micro displacement.
But it was long time ago in galaxy far, far away and render engines world has changed a lot since then.

I have it in C4D, but never really done anything with it, I used 3Delight in Truespace many years ago, that was quite cool
nigec
Thea Licensed User
Thea Licensed User

by Hieru » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:34 pm

SandroS wrote:For example in the scene below TR2/AMC were easily the faster at resolving the lighting, especially with the steam in the shower.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (92.61 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

Is there any chance you could share your technique for creating the steam? I'm assuming you've used a medium box, but I'm unsure how you achieved the broken-up steam effect. I've tried using textures in the various slots, but I still get a uniform medium effect.
Hieru
Thea Licensed User
Thea Licensed User

by SandroS » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:50 pm

Hieru wrote:I'm unsure how you achieved the broken-up steam effect. I've tried using textures in the various slots, but I still get a uniform medium effect.

you need a volumetric texture (e.g. procedural Perlin or Wind) and you really need to push the contrast and make sure the scale is set correctly ;)

here's an example with its own material room if you want to use it. it's just a scaled up version of the standard sphere room (sphere is scaled up to around 100m) and the room is set to use TR2.

by increasing/decreasing contrast and gamma you can vary how much 'steam' effect you get and if you set it up as i do then you can control the density using only the Brightness of the texture.

fog room.pack.thea
(439.62 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

FogRoom.jpg
SandroS
Thea Beta Tester (Distinction)
Thea Beta Tester (Distinction)

by Hieru » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:52 pm

That's awesome of you Sandros - very much appreciated :thumbup:

I'd all but given up on rendering steam and now I can see exactly where I was going wrong.
Hieru
Thea Licensed User
Thea Licensed User

PreviousNext

Return to Contests / Benchmarks / Polls